Sep
10

Habitats and Adaptations

Filed Under (Science) by on September 10, 2009 and tagged

We have been learning about habitats and adaptations in science. A habitat is the place and conditions where a plant or animal lives. Adaptations are the things that a plant or animal has or does to help it survive in its habitat.

We learned that camels have long eyelashes to keep blowing sand out of their eyes in the desert habitat. They can also close their nostrils so no sand gets in their nose. Those are just two of their cool adaptations. Do you know any others?

We also learned that polar bears have two layers of fur to stay warm and dry in the arctic habitat. They also have rough, bumpy pads on their paws so they don’t slip on the ice. They have a lot more amazing adaptations.

Below are three pictures of different kinds of foxes – an arctic fox, a fennec fox (desert), and a red fox (forest and fields).

Arctic_Fox1 fennec-fox_11 red-fox-glacier1

Think about what you know about habitats and adaptations. Why do these foxes look so different? What adaptations do they have to help them survive in their habitat? (And what’s up with the different sized ears?)

Please leave a comment with your ideas. Our blog buddies can leave comments and answers also!

17 Responses to “Habitats and Adaptations”

1.   hjsalsich Says:

This sounds very exciting! I wish I was in 3rd grade again!

– from Hamilton Salsich, Mr. Jonah Salsich’s father

Reply

2.   Gabby Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I think they have different colors to blend in with their habitats. This helps them be safe from animals that want to eat them.

From,
    Gabby

Reply

•   jmsalsich Says:

Dear Gabby,

Great Comment! You are right, they are different colors so they blend in with their habitat. Does anyone remember what this special adaptation is called?

Also, what is another way that blending in helps the foxes?

- Mr. Salsich

Reply

3.   Alison Barber Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,
    Mateo told me that you are studying foxes…and I understand Mateo told you and his class that I was chased by what I now believe to be a “red fox”!! If not for your photos on your website, I may have never known the foxes classification!! Great website and informative too!!
    Sincerely,
    Alison (Mateo’s Aunt)

Reply

4.   David Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

I think they look different because they live in different temperatures. One fox lives in the desert.

From, David

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Good comment David! Temperature has a lot to do with the reason they are so different. What do you think the desert fox does during the hot desert day?

-Mr. Salsich

Reply

5.   Anonymous Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich and Third Grade Class,

I have to say I enjoy checking out the website each day with Tia and sharing the days interesting topics. Way to go bloggers!! The pictures are GREAT and so are your comments; I can tell your learning a lot and have fun!! Thanks for sharing keep up the good work. Tia and I think the size of the foxes’ ears depend on the temperature of their environment…Tia will share more their ears keep them warm or cool like fans.

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

I think you have the right idea Tia! You are thinking like a real scientist! I would love to hear more about why you think the ears keep them warm or cool.

-Mr. Salsich

Reply

6.   Gracie Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,
    When we watched a video about foxes I think that the fennec fox has big ears so they can hear and then get their prey. the fennnec fox was my favorite. what fox was your favorite?
    Your friend
    Gracie

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Awesome comment Grace! Those big ears definitely help the fox hear its prey. My favorite fox was the fennec fox also. The giant ears and big black eyes are very cool!

-Mr. Salsich

Reply

7.   RJ Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,
    Yesterday we watched a video of a Fennec fox to see what adaptations the fox does to survive. It was cool watching a Fennec fox live in the desert. I hope we watch more animal videos.

From, RJ

Reply

•   Roland Parrilla Says:

RJ,

The comments by you and the rest of the class are excellent. I look forward to following all your classes activities in the upcoming year. Tell everyone to keep up the great comments. Remember: ‘Try to learn at least one new thing every day’.

RJ’s dad

Reply

8.   Nick R. Says:

Dear Mr Salsich, I think your class is great learners about animals like the fox.I hope we learn a lot of cool things. from your friend Nick R.

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear RJ and Nick,
      We will definitely learn lots of cool things this year, it’s going to be a great year! This month we will watch lots of animal videos. We will focus on the arctic habitat next.

-Mr. Salsich

Reply

9.   Brianna Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,
    I like the big eared fox because it is cool and it can do alot of things that we can’t. That’s my favorite one.
    From, Brianna

Reply

10.   Karin Says:

Dear class mates,
    My favorite fox was the artic fox. I hope that we will learn about all of the rainforest animals. I think the artic fox looks like a dog. I think that the artic fox has a white furcoat so it can blend in to it’s habitat.
    from: Karin

Reply

11.   Victoria Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich’s class
    I love your guys pictures. I saw all your comments. I never knew most of the animals. Do more great ideas! Keep up the good work.

love your friend
    Victoria:) 8)

Reply