Sep
22

“Nature Scapes” part 2

Filed Under (Science) by on September 22, 2009 and tagged

Mr. Dewire and Mrs. Sullivan were back today for another great lesson about Connecticut’s habitats.

Forest Habitat

They told us about oak, pine, and maple trees. (Does anyone remember the state tree of Connecticut?) We also learned about all the special insects that live in forests – like beetles, cicadas, moths, butterflies, and the amazing “walking-stick” bug. Of course we learned about forest birds and their nests, things that live under leaves and logs, and things that live in logs. Below are pictures of some of the incredible things they showed us.

Here are some ideas to think about for comments:
What special protective adaptation does a box turtle have?
Why doesn’t an owl’s flapping wings scare away prey?
Why don’t “walking-stick bugs” live in fields?
What was your favorite part of their visit?
or
Share any comment or question!

13 Responses to ““Nature Scapes” part 2”

1.   Wendy Overend Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich’s class,
    You guys are so lucky to have such an educational program like “Nature Scapes” come to your school! I am a third grade teacher myself and I wish my students could learn as much as you during this program. Not to mention, touching those live animals is very cool too!

Reply

2.   Wendy Overend Says:

OOPS! I sent that last comment before I was ready ….

Anyways, I also would like to ask a question to the class if you don’t mind. In a few days my class is going to receive some classroom creatures. We are going to have four anoles making their habitat in my classroom. Could you help me out by teaching me about the adaptations of anoles? I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you for your help,
    Wendy Overend (Mateo’s mom)

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Mateo’s mom,

The class is very excited to learn about anoles and then share what we have learned with you. Our top level scientists are researching anole adaptations in class. We have a question though, are they green anoles or brown anoles?

We think you are also very lucky to have these creatures in your room! As soon as our research is complete we will share the information with you. Thanks for the comment and the question!

From,
      Mr. Salsich’s class

Reply

•   Wendy Overend Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich’s class,

I believe that they are going to be green anoles that have the ability to turn brown depending on their temperature. Thanks for all your help!

From,
        Ms. Overend and class

Reply

3.   Abdullah Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

Owls don’t scare their prey because they have special feathers on their wings that makes them not make a sound. The walking stick bug doesn’t live in fields because it is camouflaged on a tree. It needs trees to blend in.

From,
    Abdullah

Reply

4.   Grace Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

The walking stick bug doesn’t live in fields because there is no sticks to blend in with.

From,
    Grace

Reply

5.   Cole Says:

The box turtle can go in his shell and close a hinge on its shell. He closes it and the predators can’t get to him.

From, Cole

Reply

6.   Nick R. Says:

The box turtle can go in its shell and close it up like a flap.

From,
    Nick R.

Reply

7.   Nathan Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich, salamanders have to stay wet because they breathe through their skin.
    From Nathan

Reply

8.   Graham Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

The special protection that a box turtle has is it goes into its shell when a predator tries to bite it. The shell is hard and the turtles can close their bottom shell like a door.

From,
    Graham

Reply

9.   madison Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

Did you know that girl turtles are bigger then boy turtles?

your pal,
    Madison

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Madison,

I didn’t know that girl turtles are bigger. That is very interesting. Why do you think they are bigger? I wonder if that is true for all types of turtles or just some.

-Mr. Salsich

Reply

10.   Charlie Says:

Can we slow down global warming please. This goes for the factories that pollute our own HOME!!!!!

Reply