Feb
22

Shapes All Around

Filed Under (Math) by on February 22, 2010

We have been learning about shapes in math. Why are shapes important to know? Well, because they are all around us and we use them to build and design things. The shapes we learned about are (mostly) polygons.

A polygon is a closed shape with three or more straight lines. They have different names depending on how many sides they have. Here are some examples of polygons in everyday life

*

Toy Packaging

Toy Packaging

This toy packaging has 6 sides and 6 angles, so it is a hexagon.
Soccer ball/Football

Soccer ball/Football

This soccer ball has patches in two different shapes.
The shape right in the middle has 5 sides and 5 angles, so it is a pentagon.
All around the pentagon are shapes with 6 sides and 6 angles, so they are all hexagons.
Stop Sign

Stop Sign

This stop sign has 8 sides and 8 angles, so it is an octagon.
Shelf

Shelf

This section of shelf has 4 sides and 4 angles, so it is a quadrilateral.

(Quadrilaterals can come in lots of different shapes. To learn more about the different kinds of four-sided shapes, check out the videos that Mrs. Yollis’ class made about them.)

*

Music CD

Music CD

Hmm… This CD has no sides and no angles, so it is not a polygon. It’s a special closed shape that is very important – it’s a circle.
Houses

Houses

These buildings have a couple of different polygons. The windows and doors have 4 sides and 4 angles, so they are quadrilaterals.
The shapes that hold up the roofs have 3 sides and 3 angles, so they are triangles.

*

Quadrilaterals are a very common shape. Why do you think we see them so much?

Can you find other examples of shapes around your school or your house?

11 Responses to “Shapes All Around”

1.   Mrs. Yollis Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich and class,

I love shapes, so naturally I LOVE your shape post! The title is certainly correct, there are Shapes All Around!

The patches on the soccer ball made me look twice. At first, it looked like all the shapes were hexagons, but upon further inspection…one of the patches was a five sided pentagon!

I’m sitting watching the Olympics right now and there are lots of shapes. The Olympic rings are circles. For the last few minutes, I’ve been watching curling. The goal is made of concentric circles. (Concentric is a fancy word that means shapes that share the same center!) All the country flags seem to be rectangles, although I saw the flag from Nepal is not rectangular.

Thanks for the links to our quadrilateral tutorials! I hope they’re helpful. All those quadrilateral names can be confusing!

My favorite shape is the equilateral triangle. I like it because when you turn it…it always looks the same!

What shapes do you like?

Your friend,
    Mrs. Yollis

Reply

2.   Christine Poscich Says:

It’s exciting to see so many shapes in our community! Sometimes we take it for granted that these shapes are all around us. I enjoyed the way the class was able to come up with pictures and examples of shapes in everyday life.

Sincerley,

Christine Poscich

Reply

3.   Team Toa Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich and class

We have just finished learning about shapes in our class too. It seems we are learning the same things even though we are on opposite sides of the world.

We were also really interested in your snow pictures. We don’t get snow like that in Shanghai, but many students are from home countries that do have snow.

We would like to know more about your global kite project.

Have you tried looking at the World Maths Day site. It is super fantastic-the best thing about school at the moment.

Mrs. Toa and 3ST
    http://teachers.saschina.org/stoa/

Reply

4.   Gracie Says:

Dear Class,

The shapes that you took pictures of were just AWESOME! My favorite picture is the Taylor Swift CD.
    Once again, the pictures were awesome!

Your Classmate,
    Gracie :)

Reply

5.   cole Says:

Dear class,
    I like all of the shapes. My favorite is the tie fighter one. I like that mine was in there. I like finding shapes around the house.

From Cole

Reply

6.   mateo Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,
    I like all of our pictures but my favorite is the Lego one. I was wandering which one is your favorite?
    from
    Mateo

Reply

7.   Nick R. Says:

Dear class,

I like all the different shapes. Another shape is a circle on a water bottle.

from,
    Nick R.

Reply

8.   Nick R. Says:

Dear class,

I see a lot of squares in our class room. All of the mascots are weird shapes. I wonder if we are shapes?

from,
    Nick R.

Reply

9.   Gabby Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich’s Class,

I thought the pictures of shapes were awesome because some things that people picked in my class were stuff that I didn’t think about. Mine was the Taylor Swift CD. My favorite was the house.

From,
    Gabby

Reply

10.   James Says:

Wow Brilliant! A great blog! Whats it like in Connecticut?

Reply

11.   Ronnie Nabby6 Says:

WOW! you have some great pics in there. I wish I lived somewhere where there is beach like yours.

What is it like living where you live?
    Have you ever been to England?
    What is yout favorite thing?
    Do you have a pet?
    I have a dog called Fidget and five fish.

Lots of Love Ronnie xxxxx

Reply