Sep
22

A New Blogging Adventure Begins!

Filed Under (General) by on September 22, 2011

Mr. Salsich’s class is back in action for another exciting year of learning and blogging together.

Our Fantastic Class

On our blog we will share lots of the amazing things we are learning together. Families, friends, and other students can follow along with our adventures and leave comments or ask us questions.

To learn how to leave a comment, click on the How To Comment tab on the top menu. We love hearing from other people!

*

We will have pictures, articles, drawings, and videos of our learning on this blog. To stay up to date on what we are doing, you can subscribe to the blog using one of the methods on the left below the visitor’s map.

Teamwork!

We have only been back at school for a few weeks and are still getting to know each other. Please leave a comment to introduce yourself. You can answer one of the questions below, or just tell us a little bit about yourself.

*

What fun things did you do over the summer?

What has been your favorite part of third grade so far?

What are you looking forward to this year?

58 Responses to “A New Blogging Adventure Begins!”

1.   Jackie Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

My favorite thing over the summer was going camping because I got to jump off an iceberg and I got to bounce on a trampoline at Odetah. At Pine Acres I got to swim out to an island. Lots of other kids were on the island. We go camping with our friends Sydney and Spencer. Some times we go with Jessica and she brings her dog Ollie.

From,
    Jackie

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Jackie,

I’m so impressed that you wrote this comment at home, great job!

It sounds like you had a fantastic summer. I love to go camping and jump on trampolines also, but I have never been lucky enough to jump off an iceberg. That sounds very exciting. I’m curious, when you jumped off, was the water cold?

Your teacher,
      Mr. Salsich

Reply

•   Jackie Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

When I said I jumped off the iceberg it was a blow up iceberg. And the water was sometimes cold or hot.

This weekend I am going to a Halloween camp ground. We get to go trick or treating. There is a haunted house it is where they try to grab your feet and there is a chain saw man. There is another haunted house where they try to grab your feet but in this one you get candy and there is no chain saw man.

From,
        Jacquelyn

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Jackie,

A blow-up iceberg makes a lot more sense! I was beginning to wonder if you had special adaptations like a polar bear that kept you warm in arctic waters.
          :lol:
          *

How exciting that you are going to a Halloween campground! I think I would like the second haunted house better because there is no chain saw man and they give you candy. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, but I would still rather have candy than have to face a chain saw man.

Have a great weekend!

From,
          Mr. Salsich

Reply

•   Jackie Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

We just got home from camping. They did not do the haunted house because lot’s of kids came out crying last year. So this year they made a new one. There was water squirting out of the sides.

From,
            Jackie

2.   Brian Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I wanted to tell you that I enjoyed my summer. My summer camp was fantastic we got to do lots of fun things. By the end of camp I did this specialty camp. It’s the same but a different thing. We got to make a robot. There are about 120 screws. Can you make it as a math problem?

Sincerely,
    Brian

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Brian,

Thank you for that excellent comment. It sounds like you had a wonderful time at camp. The specialty camp sounded extra cool! 120 screws is a lot for one robot.

You asked if I could make it into a math problem. Here you go:

If Juan Pablo was building a fly catching robot and he needed 120 screws but he only had 85, how many more screws would he need?

Your teacher,
      Mr. Salsich

Reply

•   luke Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

The answer is 35 (thirty four)

your awsome student,

Luke

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Luke,

Excellent work! You are correct.

I’m curious, what strategy did you use to solve the problem? Also, for a story problem always remember to label your answer. For example, “Juan Pablo would need 35 more screws.”

From,
          Mr. Salsich

Reply

•   luke Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

Okay. I knew that from my head. This is what I did. I split 120 into 100 and 20. Then I counted up from 85 to 100 by 5′s and that was 15. So, then I added 20 to that to reach 120. And the total number between 85 and 120 was 35.

So, Juan Pablo needs 35 more screws to build the robot.

Your extra awesome student,

Luke

3.   kwebbscheers Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich and Class,

Welcome back to school! I hope everyone had a wonderful summer vacation. I had a great time learning to run during my two month break from teaching. I am working on being able to run 6K without stopping. So far I am able to run 4k without having to take a walking break. Not too bad!

4WS has been back to school for 3 weeks now and we are having a great time getting to know one another. We are excited to be going Paperless for our Homework this year and that we are going to be blogging about all the terrific things we are learning about in grade four.

I hope that our classes will be able to work together sometime this year. Have a great weekend.

Your Blogging Buddy,

♥ Mrs. Webb-Scheers

Reply

4.   Mrs. Y♥llis Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich and class,

Welcome back to school! You are in for a treat with Mr. Salsich as your teacher! Not only does he know a lot about teaching, he also is a sheriff from time to time. We’ll jaw more about that…in the future! ☺

I am a third grade teacher in California, and we have a classroom blog too. We will be getting together via Skype and through blogging comments! My students and I are very excited to meet all of you!

I had a wonderful summer! I turned 50 years old in June and celebrated in Hawaii. Not only did I get to swim with some giant sea turtles, but I also got up close and personal with some tropical fish! Here are a couple of videos I made to share my adventure with my students. Perhaps you’d like to see them too!

Snorkel With Mrs. Yollis!

Swimming with Turtles!

Looking forward to a fun learning year with all of you!

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    California

Reply

5.   Mrs Kathleen Morris Says:

Dear Mr Salsich and class,

Welcome back to school!

My name is Mrs Morris and I am a teacher at Leopold Primary School in Victoria, Australia. I team teach with Miss Jordan. That means we work together in a large open classroom with 44 students. You can check out our blog http://2kmand2kj.global2.vic.edu.au/

While you have been enjoying your summer, it has been winter here and we have been working away at school. We have our summer holidays over Dec/Jan but it isn’t as long as yours. Our summer holiday is about 5 or 6 weeks.

Speaking of holidays, today is the last day of our term and we have two weeks off for our spring break.

I look forward to getting to know you all next term with 2KM and 2KJ. You are very lucky to have Mr Salsich for a teacher. I have got to know him and his past students over the past couple of years and I know for a fact that you are going to have an amazing year!

Your blogging buddy down under,
    Mrs Morris

Reply

•   Hanna Says:

Dear Mrs. Morris,

I wonder how was your day today? I am thinking about it because you are sleeping right now and I am awake right now and when you see my comment I will be fast asleep with my cat Elmer. My guinea pigs will also be sleeping. My guinea pig’s name is Brownie, my sister’s guinea pig’s name is Giana and my brother’s guinea pig is named Harry.

Sincerely,
      Hanna

Reply

•   Mrs Kathleen Morris Says:

@ Hanna,

Thank you for your quality comment. I love the way you used a greeting and a closing. You also added new information and asked a question. Well done! :lol:

Well it is now Saturday here while it is still Friday for you. I am guessing you have finished up your week at school while we are enjoying our weekend. I am painting my house today.

You must be busy looking after all those guinea pigs. I bet they’re very cute. I don’t have any pets but my niece got a new rabbit just the other day. She called it Daisy.

I hope to hear from you again.

Your new pal,
        Mrs Morris

Reply

6.   Mrs McKenzie and B4 Says:

Dear Mr Salsich and Grade 3
    What a friendly looking bunch you all are!

We’re excited to hear that your blogging year is now underway and we look forward to sharing some projects with you.

We are enjoying spring at the moment and on 7 October we will have a two-week break from school.

your blogging buddies
    Mrs M♔Kenzie and B4 (in New Zealand)

Reply

7.   Mr Webb and Room 8, New Zealand Says:

I think its great your back online with your classroom, looking forward to what your able to come up with and the wonderful work to come with your students!

Reply

8.   luke Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I love third grade so far! I literally love it.

your student,
    Luke

Reply

9.   Shea Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

I had a great summer and I hope you did too.
    I had fun seeing all my cousins. I went to the beach everyday and went sailing and played tennis! Then, I won two awards!

I`m so glad school started!

Your Student,
    Shea

Reply

10.   nate Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I went to Hershey Park. I went on a lot of rides.

Your student,
    Nate

Reply

11.   creighton Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I am looking forward to learning new things and discovering more about animals.

This summer I swam, I fished, I sailed, and played tennis.

Your friend
    Creighton

Reply

12.   dylan Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

The past summer I went jet skiing and dirt biking.

From,
    Dylan.

Reply

13.   chase Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

So far this year I have enjoyed playing “sticky tongue”. I am glad that I have you as a teacher.

your friend,
    Chase

Reply

14.   Bryan Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I am looking forward to having a good year together. I am hoping to play fun games this year.

From,
    Bryan

Reply

15.   Sophia Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

This summer I went to Cape Cod. I go there every summer. My whole family goes there – my cousins, my grandma, and my uncle too. We went on the go-karts and trampoline. It was fun.

What was your favorite part of your summer?

From,
    Sophia

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Sophia,

It sounds like you had a fabulous summer. Cape Cod must have been great with all of your family there. I love seeing my relatives during summertime.

Thanks for the question about my summer. My favorite part of the summer was swimming in the surf after Hurricane Irene passed. The day after the hurricane the waves were very big and the beach was flat so I could get great rides on the waves. I love bodysurfing in big waves!

Your teacher,
      Mr. Salsich

Reply

16.   Jennifer Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I had a great summer. I had fun swimming in my pool and at the beach. The waves were so big there wasn’t barely any beach left. I also went to the water slides.

Your friend,
    Jennifer

Reply

17.   Joey Says:

Dear Mr Salsich

This summer I went to a lot of fun places. For example, I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and The Jurassic Park World in Universal Studios. I also went kayaking in the Mystic River. And that’s what I did this summer.

From,
    Joey

P.S. Are we going to write books in third grade?

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Joey,

Visiting Universal Studios must have been very exciting! I would love to check out the Wizarding World of Harry Potter some day.

We will be writing lots of stories in third grade. If you want to connect some of your stories into a book, that would be great! I know you are also a talented artist, so you could add some illustrations too.

Your friend,
      Mr. Salsich

Reply

•   Joey Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

Really? You want to go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Cool! I’m so glad that we are going to make books.

From,
        Joey

Reply

•   Maura Says:

Dear Joey,

It is cool that you went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. So did I. The roller coasters were very cool. What was your favorite thing at Universal Studios?

Sincerely,
      Maura

Reply

18.   Chris Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich ,

I went to Maine this summer and we went to York Wild Kingdom.
    So far I have enjoyed the alligator game.
    I am looking forward to the hike we are going on. I can’t wait for that day to come!

Sincerely
    Christopher

Reply

•   Chris' mom ~ Lynn Says:

Dear Chris & Mr. Salsich’s class,

I am so excited to see posts from all of these enthusiastic students from your class and all over the world.
      I’m looking forward to seeing & hearing all about the educational & fun experiences your class will be having this year.
      The class picture is wonderful and it looks like they are a great group of kids.

Have a great week of school and can’t wait to see all the upcoming posts soon!

Lynn – Chris’ mom

Reply

19.   Taylor Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I am SO excited for the new school year! I am looking forward to lots of fun learning like science experiments, animal projects, and SO much more. FUN!!! I’m sure we’ll have a GREAT year together!!

Officially signed,
    your student,
    Taylor

Reply

20.   Braedon Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

This summer I learned how to water ski, kneeboard, and sail very well. I also spent a lot of time with my cousins.

Your friend,
    Baredon

Reply

21.   Mr. Avery Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich’s class,

I’m so excited to meet a new class! We got to know Mr. Salsich’s class from last year pretty well. We commented back and forth with one another. We both did the kite project and Skyped about it. We learned so much from his class last year.

We’re not that far away from you. We live in Massachusetts. I’m sure everyone is a Red Sox fan so we won’t even have to mention the Yankees at all this year.

I hope you have a wonderful year!

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery

Reply

•   luke Says:

Dear Mr. Avery,

You are a good man because I love the Red Sox too. Who is your favorite player? Mine is Adrian Gonzalez.

Your new blogging buddy,

Luke

Reply

22.   Carly Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

This year I’ve been liking all the games we play like alligator and dot head. I like games that are in groups and you have to figure out a mission or a question. I also am looking forward to math because it is my favorite subject. My favorite special is art. I LOVE SCHOOL!

from,
    Carly

Reply

23.   Kayla Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I had the best, well one of the best, summers ever. I’ve had better ones but I’m glad I’m back in school.

My favorite special is gym. My favorite thing to do in class is writing. So far my favorite part about third grade is we get to play games a lot and we get to draw on the smartboard.

I don’t plan on looking forward to anything except having a great year with Mr. Salsich.

From,
    Kayla

Reply

24.   jim alvaro Says:

Hello from Michigan.

Your blog looks great and I think you are going to have an awesome year with your new class.

We would love to do a project with you guys if your willing. We could also skype.

Have a great weekend, stop by the Skinny (edublogs.misd.net/theskinny) and say hi.

Mr. Alvaro

Reply

25.   Joseph Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I’m looking forward to the fun science activities. I hope to learn about the mountain goat.

From,
    Joseph

Reply

26.   Anthony Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I’m looking forward to the 100th day of school.

From,
    Anthony

Reply

27.   Kayla Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

Today is late friday. I can’t wait to see you on monday. I love being in your class you are the best third grade teacher ever. Thank you so much for posting my comment for me. Last year in second grade we got to hatch ducklings. It was fun.

From Kayla

Reply

28.   luke Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I saw a real bald eagle swoop down and catch a huge trout. It was awesome.

Your student,
    Luke

Reply

29.   Sarah Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

Welcome back to blogging! This summer my sister and I and my best friend Eleanor went to a sleep away camp for two weeks. We got to do dancing, rock climbing, horseback riding and many special project. a Special project is when you you get to try every single activity.

My favorite thing about third grade is alpha smarts. Alpha smarts is a program that teaches you how to type faster and learn the location of each key.

I am looking forward to Blogging more with my friends from Australia, New Zealand, and from your class in Connecticut. I am also looking forward to doing Skype calls with you. Do you know when we will have our first Skype call?

From,
    Sarah

Reply

•   jackie Says:

Dear Sarah,

We would like to start skypeing this week or next week.

My favorite thing about third grade is math because Mr. Salsich makes it fun. I am looking forward to blogging with our friends too.

Have you ever gone to Ohio?

From,
      Jackie

Reply

30.   Carly Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

I loved my summer! I went to the beach a lot. I also had fun at camp because we made lots of cool art work. I love painting but we didn’t do that much painting this year but that is okay.

From your awesome student,
    Carly

Reply

31.   Mommy Says:

Hi Carly and Mr Salsich’s 3rd Grade Class!

I love this blog. The new class photo is great. Please keep blogging so the Moms, Dads, Brothers and Sisters to keep up with what you are doing!

You are all going to have a GREAT year!

Love,
    Carly’s Mom……Mary

Reply

32.   B4 Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich and Grade 3

WELCOME BACK! I hope you had fun what did you do on the holidays? Did you know that we hadn’t had
    our holidays yet because it is on October.

your blogging buddy G♥nda in New zealand

Reply

33.   Carly Says:

Dear Luke,

Where did you see the eagle swoop down? I think that is very cool.

From,
    Carly

Reply

34.   Maura Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

Over the summer I did lots of cool things. First of all, I went to Texas to visit my cousin. Then I went hiking. We also packed for the move.

Sincerely,
    Maura

Reply

35.   Tysen (Maura's Mom) Says:

Mr. Salsich,

Maura, her younger brother Alexander and I had an exciting summer exploring our new home state of CT! This was a big move from Chicago, IL, but so far we like living in a smaller town. We definitely love living near the ocean and so many state and national parks. The children love to kayak, hike and explore the trails around Mystic.

It’s very interesting that you blog with a classroom in Austrailia. I have a very good friend who lives in Christchurch, New Zealand and we are trying to plan a trip there someday.

Cheers,
    Tysen (Maura’s Mom)

Reply

36.   Tricia (Jackie's Mom) Says:

Mr. Salsich and Class,

I love reading your blog. It sounds like everyone had a wonderful summer. Keep up the good work!

Bye,

Tricia (Jackie’s Mom)

Reply

37.   Taylor Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich and Class,

I had a great summer!

When school ended, we waited 1 day and then went directly to Florida.
    It was lots of fun swimming in the pool and the ocean.
    And yes, before you ask, I went to Disney. To be specific, Disney Hollywood studio. It was so much fun!

We’re planning a trip at Thanksgiving and we will be going to a
    Jaguars’ football game!

I love to travel to new places because it’s very educational and fun!
    Once I visited Arizona and saw many lizards and lots of interesting plants including the saguaro cacti.

I hope that you all had a great summer too!

Your friend,
    Taylor

Reply

38.   New Town Elementary Says:

Kia Ora Mr Salsich,

Hope all is well up your end of the country. If you can remember my class in New Zealand ‘Room 6 Kilbirnie School’ use to comment on your blog from time to time. I have recently moved to the states and I am currently teaching in North Carolina.

I have started up a blog with my new class. They really enjoyed looking at your blog to find out what your class is learning. I told them that your class is from Connecticut and a lot of them made connections to your area as a few of them either use to live around that area.

We hope we can communicate with your class regularly, I know my children would love it as it would be an awesome experience to connect with another class in the States.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.
    Ula Lologa

Second Grade
    New Town Elementary, Waxhaw
    North Carolina

Reply

39.   Nathan Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I really like this year, it is fun! I can’t wait to go on field trips. My brother said that they were cool.

Your student ,
    Nathan

Reply