Apr
04

Making “Molas” in Art Class

Filed Under (Arts) by on April 4, 2013 and tagged

Earlier in the year we made “molas” in art class with our fantastic art teacher, Ms. Conway.

making molas

*

Molas are a type of applique art made by the Kuna Indians of the San Blas Islands in Panama.

San Blas Islands, Panama

Applique art is when you put layers of material on top of one another to make a design or a pattern.

The Kuna Indians make applique molas by sewing pieces of colorful fabric on top of other pieces to make beautiful designs. The designs of molas usually have subjects that are inspired by nature. Here are some examples that Ms. Conway shared with us:

Molas from Panama

And here is a picture of a Kuna woman showing her molas in Panama:

Kuna woman with molas

*

We didn’t use fabric and sewing to make our molas. Instead, we cut designs and patterns out of¬†construction¬†paper and glued the layers together. We had to cut out each new layer and then glue it onto another piece of colored paper.

Cutting out the layers

Here is a slide show of some of our molas:

*

(Here is a link to learn more about molas and the Kuna Indians, with directions for making your own paper mola at home.)

*

What do you think of our molas?

Have you ever seen a real mola from Panama?

What kind of art do you enjoy doing?

14 Responses to “Making “Molas” in Art Class”

1.   Cole Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I think our mola’s were great! The interesting part about them are the colors that used to decorate. Anyways I like to work with clay because it’s fun to work with, It’s messy and creative.

Your student,
    Cole :wink:

Reply

2.   piper Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I enjoyed making the mola’s. All the mola’s were great! They stand out because they all are different, and the colors are all very different on each mola. I really like to make self portraits at home or at art. What did you think of our mola’s? Have you ever made mola’s at school as a project or at home?

Awesome post!

Your student,

Piper :shock:

Reply

3.   Sandy Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

I love the post! My favorite kind of art to do is sand painting because I like pouring the sand over the glue and then pushing all the sand onto the floor. I also like it because I like to do messy stuff.

What is your favorite kind of art?

Your Student,
    Sandy :mrgreen:

Reply

4.   Ivy Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

Nice post! Great Pictures! Making the molas were very fun. I think that all of the molas done by our class were fabulous. I like painting or using clay but the molas were cool to do a new thing that we didn’t know about. I enjoyed using the bright colors on the paper and the background designs were very cool. We used a lot of glue when we glued the paper on top of the other paper. I liked doing the molas because they are really cool and pretty.

Thanks for finally getting the post up!

Sincerely,
    Ivy

Reply

5.   Kali Says:

Daer Mr. Salsich,

The slide show was great. Sandy’s mola was kind of funny. Why didn’t you put it up earlier?

From
    Kali :lol:

Reply

6.   natalies1234 Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

The molas looked really cool. They all looked unique and different. It looked like the kids had a lot of fun doing them. I never knew about molas before and that they are made all the way in Panama! I think it’s really cool to learn other cultures because most likely it’s different than mine. Thank you for sharing those. They make me want to make one.

Here is my blog if you want to check it out. http://infinatalie.edublogs.org

Sincerely,
    Natalie S.
    Mr. Avery’s Class

Reply

7.   Bennett Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

My aunt has seen some molas in San Blas. She has been there 2 times and has bought a shirt and pillow with molas stiched on. All the molas are relly cool. The big blob with 2 holes inside it is my favorite. Which one do you like?

Your student,
    Bennett :cool:

Reply

8.   Natalia Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

I like to paint because its messy and colorful. What kind of art do you like to do?

From
    Natalia

Reply

9.   Grant Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

One type of art I like to do is just to us a pencil and paper. With the pencil and paper I just like to draw random and weird things. That is the only thing I like to draw. When I’m done I show my dad and he just says “what?”

So anyway, what’s your favorite art to do?

From,
    Grant

Reply

10.   Brendan Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I really like making molas in art. Also I really like working with clay and paint. I like using paint because first it is really fun and two because it is really messy and I like working with messy stuff. I also like working with clay because it is really easy to fix if you mess up. Also because when you put on the glaze (which we do in art class to give it that shiny look) you don’t really know what your pot will look like because it gets a totally different color when it comes out of the kiln.

Your student,
    Brendan :mrgreen:

Reply

11.   Lindsey Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I loved all of our class’ molas. One type of art that I like to do is working with either clay because I love to feel the texture of it in my hand, or paper and pencils (like sketches) and then coloring them because it is fun when you get bored, or any time. I love the post because it wasn’t about class work, it was in our special art which was something diffrent.

your student,
    Lindsey :shock:

Reply

12.   Mrs. Cere's Class Says:

We have never heard of molas but we think they look great! Can we get more information on how you made them?
    Thanks!

Reply

•   Brendan Says:

Dear Mrs. Cere’s class,

We actually didn’t make them the way they do in panama because it would have been difficult so what we did was we got paper and first we drew our design on a scratch paper. Then we drew it on a colored piece of paper and then we cut it out and then we got a another piece of paper traced that and traced so only a little bit of that color was showing and finally we added another layer to it and then added the eyes (if it was a animal or anything with eyes) then you added design’s like lines or dots and lots of other stuff,

sincerely,
      Brendan :cool:

Reply

13.   Alicia Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

love the post. I really liked making molas in art class. I love art. one other type of art that I like to do is painting and clay because they both are messy and I think they are very creative.

Your student,
    Alicia

Reply