May
29

Using Math to Build Kites (2013)

Filed Under (Math) by on May 29, 2013 and tagged ,

Last month we used lots of the math skills we have been learning to build our own kites.

We built sled kites in math class. We had to use fractions, division, and careful measuring to build them accurately.

Here is a video showing how we worked together to plan and design our sled kites:

(If you would like to try making your own sled kite, here is a video tutorial and here are printed directions: How to make a sled kite. Finally, here is a link to a wiki site all about kites around the world.)

*

Making the kites was lots of fun, but it was even more fun flying them! Stay tuned for a post about our flying experience.

Soaring in the air!

Soaring in the air!

*

What did you think of our video?

Have you ever made a kite? If so, what was fun about it and what was challenging?

Have you ever built something else that required lots of math?

18 Responses to “Using Math to Build Kites (2013)”

1.   Grant Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

I have never made a kite except the one we made in class.

Also I have made something that requires a lot of math. In my room I made a rube goldberg machine.

From,
    Grant

Reply

2.   Maddie Says:

Dear Mr.Salich,

I liked flying the kites because it was fun to see it soar through the sky. I did not like how some kites would get into kite fights and the kites would either get cut or get tangled.

Your Friend,
    Maddy/Apple Bloom

Reply

3.   Piper Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

Great video!

No I have never made a kite only in class. It was fun working with your partner to help you figure out the math. What was your favorite part? It was fun when you decorated it because you could see the decoration on the kite when it is flying in the sky. Also, it was fun when we got to fly the kites because you got to run around while flying your kite!

Your student,

Piper :lol:

Reply

4.   Cayla Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I have not done any other projects that involve a lot of math but my dad does, he is a carpenter. He does way more math then I have ever done! My mom does a lot of math too. She does taxes and bills at a place in Waterford. I don’t think I have ever done this much math in one activity!

From,
    Cayla

Reply

5.   lindsey Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

My favorite part of the activity was working with my partner Ivy to do the design and measurements on the real kite. I also liked how we didn’t just do the real thing. I thought the video was awesome because we each had a speaking part and if you wanted to make a kite at home there are links on how to make one. I also enjoyed making them in class as a fun activity.

Your student,
    Lindsey :lol:

Reply

6.   Natalia Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I thought the kite video was great! My favorite part was showing how hard we worked on this project. I thought it was a little funny when some people said “no” when they made a mistake and then fixed it. Extremely cool post!

Your Student,
    Natalia :shock:

Reply

7.   Anonymous Says:

Dear class,

I thought the video was so cool! :) I can’t wait to fly my partner and I’s kite. Yes, I have made a kite at home with mainly a garbage bag, sticks and string.

Sincerely,
    Sean :cool:

Reply

8.   Sophia Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

I loved making and flying the kites! I thought it was a fun way to have fun in school but still be learning. It was fun when two kites got into a kite fight.

One thing I did not like about flying kites was the people that where not flying kites where chasing your kite and sometimes falling over your string. Also if your kite got close to hitting the ground people would run to your kite and make a circle around it.

Your student,

$ophia :lol: :razz: :neutral:

Reply

9.   Wynn Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I thought that flying the kites was extremely fun!
    I also thought that the video was really cool!

I have not made a kite before, but when I was young I used to go to the Westerly library and fly a kite that my grandma made for me. She said that it was challenging to make.

Your Student,
    Wynn :cool:

Reply

10.   Sandy Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

I loved the video, especially I loved the picture of me and Piper with our kite. When we were coloring our kite we had picked orange, but when we were coloring it we wished we had done a white kite, but it all ended up ok! I don’t think I have ever made a kite, I think that was my first time ever. The challenging thing about making our kites was having the same idea of what to draw on the kite, also it was tricky drawing the lines perfectly straight (except Piper was pretty good at it). I probably wouldn’t have done so well if Piper didn’t make the lines!

The fun thing about making the kites was working with a partner to make something real and share teamwork and cooperation!

Your Student,
    Sandy

Reply

11.   Alicia Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I really liked the post. My favorite part of making the kites was right at the beginning when me and Daniela were measuring the fourths of the kite. It was kind of challenging because the paper we were making the kite out of was like 32 inches so it was kind of hard to figure out where the fourths are. But it was still fun working together with my partner to figure it all out.

Your student,
    Alicia :cool:

p.s. I really liked doing the designs on our kite to.

Reply

12.   Ivy Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

This is a magnificent post! I liked working with a partner to figure out the fourths and thirds of things.

Something that was challenging when we made the kites would be when we made the wings, the top had to be the same as the bottom. My partner and I made many mistakes but we just figured out what was wrong and fixed it. The mistakes also made us laugh at ourselves for doing something wrong. Indeed, it was very challenging, but also very fun!

The video was great! I liked how you showed all of the kites we made like the smaller kites leading up to the big kites. Decorating the kites was very fun, and my partner and I wanted to do something bright and colorful so it was easy to see in the sky.

I loved this project!

Sincerely,
    Ivy

Reply

13.   jacob Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

Yes I have made a kite in class. One thing that was challenging was trying to make the lines straight. Me and my partner thought about where to put them.

From
    Jacob :cool:

Reply

14.   Nora Says:

Dear Purple Piggy,

It’s your kite partner, Pico De Gallo. It was really funny when we saw us in the video. I was saying stuff like “This is bad” or “Wait! Not there!”. That was hilarious. I look forward to you bringing the kite to my house. I can’t wait to fly it!

Sincerely,
    Pico De Gallo

(P.S. I can’t wait till you know what!)

Reply

15.   cole Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I thought our post was great! I liked the part was when you showed all of us with our kites. Me and my partner did excellent.

Sencerly,
    Cole

Reply

16.   alicia Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I really liked working with my partner to try and build a kite. it was kind of hard in the beginning but once me and my partner got done with the basics it was a lot easier for us. And when me and my partner started our design it was hard to decide what to put on our kite because there were so many ideas going through our heads. It was hard deciding what ideas to put on the kite, and which ideas we would leave off the kite. But even though there was some hard things that me and my partner figured out, it was fun. And in my opinion I like challenging things because they are fun to figure out. Another reason that I liked building the kites is because I really like math and measuring.

Your student,
    Alicia

Reply