Jun
03

“Take Me Out to The Ballgame” – a guest post about baseball by Brendan

Filed Under (General, Writing) by on June 3, 2013 and tagged ,

Hi! My name is Brendan and I play Baseball. Baseball is an American sport involving lots of physical requirements like being able to run fast, swing heavy bats, and have good arm strength to be able to throw across the baseball field.

*

*

The field you play on in baseball is called the baseball diamond and in the baseball diamond there’s an infield and an outfield. The outfield has three defensive positions called outfielders. The infield has six defensive positions. They are; pitcher, catcher, first base, second base, and shortstop. And last but not least, the position I play, third base.

Here’s a diagram of a baseball diamond and the defensive positions I made using Skitch:

layout of a baseball field, with the positions.

*

The clothing you wear for baseball is baseball pants, team jersey, baseball hat, cleats, and baseball socks.

When you play defense you also need a baseball glove:

Fielding Equipment

Fielding Equipment

When you are hitting you need a baseball bat and a helmet:

Batting Equipment

Batting Equipment

There is also a dugout which is where the players sit during a game. Often the dugouts are a mess after games because you have sunflower seeds and gatorade bottles scattered around. The Dugout can also have dirt on the floor and on the walls because when you play a baseball game some players like to shake their cleats out and they also like to wipe their shirts off.  

*

Some people in my class play baseball. Baseball is very fun sport because you learn how to steal a base, only swing at good pitches, field the ball, and work together as a team. Also, many people dream of playing baseball in the MLB (which is Major League Baseball) because it means you are a professional athlete and it is really hard to become one!

My favorite Baseball team is the Boston Red Sox. 

Boston Red Sox

Boston Red Sox

The Boston Red Sox had a bad season last year but this year the Red Sox are having a great year because they got a new manager. The Red Sox had a new manager last year too, but he got fired because the Red Sox were not winning any games.

Finally, sometimes at the end of the school year we sing the famous baseball song “Take Me Out to The Ballgame” and on the line “Root, root, root for the home team” many people change the word “home team” to either Red Sox or Yankees because we live in between Boston and New York so some people like the Yankees and some people like the Red Sox  (and some people just don’t like either of them.)

Here is a video of my class and I singing the song:

*

What is your favorite baseball team?

Do you play baseball? (If you do, what position to you play?)

Have you ever been to a MLB game?

Do you play another sport? If so, what sport?

30 Responses to ““Take Me Out to The Ballgame” – a guest post about baseball by Brendan”

1.   Anonymous Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

Thank you for finally getting the post up! Also I have been to a Major league Baseball game but my brother and my parents have gone to way more then me, which I don’t mind because when I get older I am going to go to more games. In fact I am going to go to Fenway (where the Red Sox play) and we have Green Monster seats! Any way, Thanks for getting the post up.

Your Student,
    Brendan :mr green:

Reply

2.   Patti Coan Says:

Great Post. I loved all of the details and of course, the singing.

Reply

3.   Hamilton Salsich (your teacher's dad) Says:

Dear Brendan,

That was a very intelligent post about baseball. You are obviously a very smart student, and it’s good that you know which team to cheer for — the Red Sox! I LOVED the singing of that great old song!

Thanks so much!

Mr. Hamilton Salsich

Reply

4.   steve coan Says:

Brendan, I really liked your post!

Reply

5.   Ivy Says:

Dear Brendan,

Wonderful post! I liked the diagrams you made using Skitch. I don’t play baseball, nor do I know much about it so I am glad you put the diagram of the positions. My favorite baseball team is the Red Sox and I am glad their old manager got fired. I also liked how you had the class sing “Take me out to the ball game”. I tried to sing “RED SOX” as loud as I can. My favorite baseball player is probably David Ortiz.

I loved the post!

Sincerely,
    Ivy

Reply

•   Brendan Says:

Dear Ivy,

I absolutely agree with you that Big Poppy is very good! :cool: Finally, I did like it when the class sang “Take Me Out to The Ball Game” because it showed people around the world what an American traditional song is like.

Your class mate,
      Brendan :evil:

Reply

6.   Sandy Says:

Dear Brendan,

Great Post!! My favorite baseball team is the Boston Red Sox. I do not play baseball partly because I’m a girl and partly because I am not interested in playing baseball even though I like watching baseball on TV, and because I don’t play baseball I don’t have a position. I have been to one of the Red Sox games at Fenway Park.

I play basketball in the Winter. My favorite professional team is the Celtics and my favorite college team is UConn. What are your favorite basketball teams (if you have them)?

From,
    Sandy :cool:

Reply

•   Brendan Says:

Dear Sandy,

Great Comment!

I agree that the Celtics are good and I agree that UConn is good but if I had to choose between which UConn team I like I would have to say The UConn baseball team! Any way when you went to Fenway what kind of seats did you have? There are grand-stand tickets and standing room tickets, or field boxes or boxes, or the great “Green Monster” seats :?:

Your Class mate,
      Brendan :mrgreen:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Brendan,

Again fabulous post!! I don’t like the UConn baseball team as much as the UConn basketball team! I asked my mom what seats we sat in, and she said it was just called the bleachers!! Is that a spot that you can sit in or is there a better name for the bleachers?

From,
        Sandy :grin:

Reply

7.   Grant Says:

Dear Brendan,

I do not play baseball now but I did last year. The position I played was short stop, first base or pitcher.

My favorite baseball team is the Chicago White Sox, and I do agree that the Boston Red Sox are good.

Also I have not been to a MLB game but I have gone to a pre-season game with my cousins to the Red Sox vs the Twins.

Another sport I play is soccer. My favorite team in soccer would be FC Barcelona and my favorite player would be Lionel Messi and I do see why people like Ronoldo but clearly Messi is better.

What is your favorite sport to play “If you have one” and what is your favorite player “again If you have one”?

From your friend,
    Grant

Reply

•   Brendan (in Mr. salsich's class Says:

Dear Grant,

I absolute do not agree that Lionel Messi is better than Ronaldo, but I guess we have to wait for the Mathlete Show to finally know who is better. Maybe then the war between who is better will finally be over.

Also, I do agree that David Ortiz (A.K.A Big Papi) is very good. He has like 30 something RBIs but that may be just because he always bats in the clean up spot, which means there is almost always someone on base. And if there isn’t any one one base he normally hits a solo shot Home Run!

Keep up the good comments!

Your Friend,
      Brendan :cool:

Reply

•   Grant Says:

Dear Brendan,

I agree that we will have to wait and see who is better Messi or Ronaldo. Also “Big Papi” is very good and I think he does have 30 something RBI’s and last night didn’t he hit a huge home run?

Your soccer playing friend,
        Grant

Reply

•   Brendan Says:

Dear Grant,

I believe that “Big Poppy” did hit a home run yesterday against the Angels and now I think Poppy has like 40 RBI’s because of his home run! Any way you keep saying you don’t play Baseball but besides Soccer is there any other sport you like to play and if not would you like to try to make a sport up and then make it a national sport? :?:

Your Class Mate,
          Brendan :lol: :cool:

Reply

8.   Wynn Says:

Dear Brendan,

Great Post!

My favorite baseball team is the Boston Red Sox. I do play baseball and I play either pitcher or shortstop. I also play soccer, basketball, cross country, and ping pong. I also like football and hockey. My favorite soccer team is Real Madrid, for basketball Boston Celtics, for football New England Patriots, and for hockey the Boston Bruins. My favorite runner is Usain Bolt. My favorite player for baseball is David Ortiz, for soccer Cristiano Ronaldo, for basketball Jeff Green, for football Rob Gronkowski, for hockey Tyler Seguin, and for ping pong some guy in Japan, but I forgot his name.

Do you have any favorite sports players or teams for any of the other sports I listed?

I have been to many professional sports games.

Your Friend,
    WYNN :cool:

Reply

Dear Wynn,

Great comment!!

I agree That Ronaldo is way better than Messi but when the mathlete show comes out we will finally know who is better Messi or Ronaldo? :?:

Also I think that you should keep pitching in baseball because when I watch you pitch you look amazing! Finally I like all the teams you listed and I agree that Usain Bolt is a fantastic runner :razz: ! Anyway, when I heard you say a guy from japan I thought about when you told me about him and how good he is and I think that guy did a good choice choosing to do ping pong because it is super fun!

Your Friend,
      Brendan :cool:

Reply

•   Wynn Says:

Dear Brendan,

Even if the Mathlete Show says that Messi is better, that isn’t all the stats. Ronaldo might be better in all the other stats. I know that Ronaldo is way better at the stat assists because: 1, Messi never passes and 2, Ronaldo is a wing so he can cross the ball as he dribbles down the plank, or does a give-and-go.

Thanks for the comment about my pitching!

Your friend,
        Wynn

Reply

•   Brendan Says:

Dear Wynn,

I absolutely agree that Messi is not better than Ronaldo and I do not care at all that the mathlete show says Messi is better! Anyway, the mathlete show only covered their assits and their goals. I also kind of think Messi is sort of a ball-hog but he still a very good soccer player and I bet that Ronaldo has done better in his earlier years of being a professional soccer player because I know that somewhere in Ronaldo’s carer he has done better than Messi in goals and in assits!

Also, do you play any other position in baseball except pitcher? :?:

Your Friend,
          Brendan :lol: :cool :mrgreen:

Reply

9.   Kali Says:

Dear Brendan,

I really liked the post! I also liked the video my favorite baseball team is the Tigers.
    From,

Kali :lol:

Reply

10.   Brendan (in Mr. salsich's class Says:

Dear Kali,
    Great Comment!

I agree that the tigers are great but when you say tigers to you mean the Connecticut Tigers or the Detroit Tigers :?: Any way they are both Baseball teams so I really don’t think it matters unless you are a baseball fanatic

Your Class Mate,
    Brendan :evil:

Reply

•   Kali Says:

Dear Brendan,

I don’t know what kind of Tigers but I have been to a Tigers game and they won at the end of the game and a lot of people cheered for that.

From,
      Kali :lol: :cool:

Reply

11.   Ryan Says:

Dear brendan,

My favorite baseball team is the Boston Red Sox. They are my favorite team because, 1 – they are a Boston team and 2 – they are a really good baseball team. Also I have never been to a MLB baseball game before but I do want to go to one some day.

From,
    Ryan

Reply

•   Brendan Says:

Dear Ryan,

I absolutely agree with both of your reasons on why you like the Red Sox. Also, if you go to a Red Sox game at Fenway park you have to go see the team store. They have so many cool things like home plates used in world series that the the Red Sox have won! :lol:

Your classmate,
      Brendan :mrgreen: :cool:

Reply

12.   Maddie Says:

Dear Brendan,

The postion I play is pitcher, first base, and third base. I like pitcher because you could see if you see if you are good or not at pitcher and if are, the coach will let you pitch more often.

Your Friend,
    Maddy :mrgreen:

Reply

13.   Trey Says:

Dear Brendan,

My favorite baseball team is the Red sox and I also play on a team like you. I play 3rd base.

from Trey :mrgreen:

Reply

14.   Tom Coan Says:

Hi Brendan,

Great story! I like all the descriptive details about the positions, and the diagrams. I especially like how well your whole class sings.

Thanks
    Tom

Reply

•   Brendan Says:

Dear Tom,

Great Comment!
      Thanks for the comment and I actually didn’t ask my class to sing the song my teacher said that it would be good for my post and I am so happy that Mr. Salsich finally got my post up!

Your Cousin,
      Brendan

Reply

15.   Lindsey Says:

Dear Brendan,

My favorite baseball team is Red Sox. No, I have not been to a MLB game but my dad said the next game he might take me to. I am not a big fan of baseball but I watch it a lot with my dad. My dad likes the Yankees and my dad’s dad likes the Red Sox and lives in Florida but I disagree with my dad. I like Messi on FC barcalona for soccer. But I think I went to a Steelers game maybe before when I think I was Five.

From,
    Lindsey :lol:

Reply

•   Anonymous Says:

Dear Lindsey,

I do not agree with you that Lionel Messi is better than Cristiano Ronaldo and since a bunch of boys like Ronaldo better we made upu a nick name for the players. For Barcelona we named it F.C Buttalona and for Messi we call him Lionel Muddy and for Ronaldo we call him Cristiano Marshmallow! Any way I usually go to a Red Sox game every year!

Your Soccer Enemy,
      Brendan :evil:

Reply

16.   Collin Says:

Dear Brendan,

My favorite baseball team is the Red Sox and yes, I have been to a MLB game before. My dad has been to a lot of MLB games before. Yes, I do play baseball and mostly I play right field and I play a lot more sports. I will name them for you; soccer, football, basketball, and baseball. If I had to pick my favorite that would be baseball.

Nice job on your post. I like how you filmed us and then it was on the blog. Now I am trying to get 10 stickers so I can do a post too.

from,
    Collin

Reply