Jun
04

Catching Frogs, Snakes, and Crayfish (2013)

Filed Under (Science) by on June 4, 2013 and tagged ,

Last week we went on a field trip to Spellman Pond with our friends Mr. Dewire and Mrs. Sullivan from NatureScapes. They have taught us so much about plants and animals this year, and this was our last visit with them.

*

*

It was fantastic! We got to explore a pond habitat and check out all kinds of creatures with special adaptations. Check out the slide show below to get an idea of what we saw.

*

What are some of the adaptations we saw?

What was your favorite part of the trip, or what was the most interesting creature in the slideshow?

Have you ever caught any of these creatures on your own?

10 Responses to “Catching Frogs, Snakes, and Crayfish (2013)”

1.   lindsey Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I thought it was neat when all the people that wanted to, got to either hold the bullfrog and little tiny fish that Mr. Dewire (our tour guide) caught. Most of us wanted to hold a fish. One of my favorite animals that he caught was the water snakes with blazing blue eyes.

Your Student,
    Lindsey :lol:

Reply

2.   Natalia Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

Yes! I have tried to catch a frog. Once I caught a frog but, that was a long time ago. I had a good time on the field trip I also learned a lot of interesting things. Extremely cool post!

Your student,
    Natalia :lol:

Reply

3.   Sophia Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I liked the field trip!
    One thing that I liked was when I was holding the frog. I also like when the snake was swimming in the water. It looked so cool from land. The snake that was in the tree looked like he was sleep climbing.

Your student,
    $ophia

Reply

4.   WYNN Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

The post was really cool!

I liked catching the male bullfrog and also the water snake. It was fun holding the bullfrog. It seemed like the bullfrog was always smiling.
    The bullfrog felt slimy and very wet!
    Do you know if we will have any more field trips before the end of the year?

Your Student,
    Wynn :cool:

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Wynn,

I enjoyed the field trip also. I didn’t get a chance to hold the bullfrog, but I felt pretty lucky that I got to bring the snake to Miss Lance’s class.

To answer your question, unfortunately that was our last field trip of third grade. But, we still have Field Day to look forward to!

Sincerely,
      Francisco Salsa’s twin brother

Reply

5.   Sandy Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

Great Post!!
    Some adaptations that we saw were the water snake kind of blended in with the water and grass. My favorite part of the trip was catching the bullfrog because it was so neat and slimy to hold! I never really caught a water snake but last year my brother, Patrick, found a garter snake in a hole in our front yard.

Your Student,
    Sandy :evil: :shock:

Reply

6.   Kali Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

That field trip was fun! I really wanted to go on another one for the third grade. I have been to that pond before for summer camp.

From,
    Kali :lol: :evil:

Reply

7.   Cole Says:

Dear Brendan,

Yes, I have been to a lot of sport games. I have been to two Bruins games and three Red Sox games and five P-Bruins games. So about 10 games in all. Oh yeah, I also have been to a UConn football game.

From,
    Cole

Reply

8.   Collin Says:

Dear class,

My favorite part was when I saw the water snake on top of the water swimming, that looked really cool. And I have caught a water snake down near a secret spot I go fishing and crabbing. There is really good stuff to catch down there.

from,
    Collin

Reply

9.   Jorja Says:

Dear Mr Salsich’s class,

That was an awesome video. My class has never even went on a field trip to a pond.
    The coolest animal was the water snake we don’t have snakes like that in Sointula. We only have gardener snakes. Only some times Me and my sister Jordan go and check on the frog pond to see if their is any eggs. My whole class has got frog eggs to hatch in our school.

From Jorja in Mr Watson’s class

Reply