Jun
07

“My World of Piano!” – a guest post by Sandy

Filed Under (Arts, Writing) by on June 7, 2013 and tagged ,

♬ ♪ ♫    Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti    ♫ ♪ ♬

Every Tuesday I go to piano lessons at 4:10.  When I first walk in my piano teacher, Valerie Walsh, has a snack of some kind waiting for us. It’s usually something like this:

*

I always wash up in her bathroom before I play so I don’t get her piano dirty.  Next I come out and sit down to play. I put my fingers in position like this:

*

Lately I’ve been playing with just one hand because I broke my wrist, but Valerie says in some cases it is good because I wouldn’t be playing the songs that I’m doing right now like “Smoke on the Water” and the “Blues Scales”.  I have six piano books that I’ve moved on from and one that I’m working on right now!  Here are some pictures of them:

*

*

I have been playing piano for 4 years and it’s one of my favorite activities! We like to have fun at lessons!! Here is a silly picture that Valerie took of me:

*

*

I also sing.  I love to sing and play. A few songs I have sung and played are “ He’s got the Whole World in his Hands” and “ White Horse”!!  This week I’m doing just singing so I can practice how to make my voice a little louder.

I also wanted to tell you what inspires me about music and why I like it so much.  Well, first of all, music inspires me because I love the sounds it makes and how other professional people play it like it’s nothing.  That’s what inspired me to take lessons,  hearing how good people are and how I want to be just like those people one day!  One person that inspires me is my mom’s cousin Cathy.  She took piano lessons all through life and became a fabulous pianist.  I would like to be able to just sit down and be able to just play any music that is in front of me.  She inspires me so much I’m going to play for the rest of my life so I can get better and better at it each day!

*

*

Would you believe at one time I wasn’t so fond of piano?  When I first started taking lessons it wasn’t easy for me.  Did I give up? NO!!  I developed my process and didn’t quit even though it was hard for me.  So remember don’t give up when things are hard because someday you might end up loving your talent.  

When I went for my first day of piano It wasn’t easy to learn the notes.  I had to practice hard to get the hang of it.  Also I needed to memorize the scales and identify what the notes looked like, and how to read them.  As I developed my process I noticed that I was getting better at it every day because I practiced every night after school.  

As  you can see I really enjoy the hobby of playing the piano!

I would like to share a video of me playing a song called “Got Lots of Rhythm”

*

Do you play a musical instrument? If so what kind?

What musical artist do you listen to most?

Piano inspires me! Who or what inspires you?

37 Responses to ““My World of Piano!” – a guest post by Sandy”

1.   Sandy Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

Thanks for getting the post up!! I was really looking forward to it being up on the blog!! Thanks again!!

Your Student,
    Sandy

Reply

2.   Valerie Walsh Says:

Awesome job on the blog Sandy!

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Valerie,

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! You also left it very quickly! Thank you for helping me video tape and edit my post! Also thank you for encouraging me to do my best and telling me when I made mistakes so it would be perfect and I would have a few different ones to choose from. Also thank you for helping me learn piano so I could get to this point where I knew all about it. Thank you also for telling me about maybe doing a inspire me paragraph! That actually helped me a lot so that I could have another question! I couldn’t have done it without you! Thanks again!!!

Your Student,
      Sandy :lol:
      P.S. What age did you start playing the piano?

Reply

3.   Cayla Says:

Dear Sandy,

Excellent post!

I liked the picture of you laying on the couch in a weird way. I also liked the video of you playing “I’ve got rhythm” and the extras of you playing the song with different sounds.

From,
    Cayla

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Cayla,

I thought the picture of me laying on the couch was weird too! I liked the extras too, especially the one where I mess up because I do it all the time and just start playing from where I left off or I just play it over again. I have even messed up at some of my piano concerts, but nobody even notices and I just keep playing. Do you have a favorite singer or band? Do you play a musical instrument, if you don’t which one would you like to play?

Your friend,
      Sandy :cool:

Reply

4.   Sophia Says:

Dear Sandy,

I think the post was great! I also think you’re great at playing piano. You did a great job writing the post. I don’t play an instrument but I’m going to learn how to play the trumpet. I think the silly picture of you was very funny.

Great post!

Your Friend,
    Rainbow Dash ($ophia) :cool: :lol: :mrgreen:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Rainbow Dash ($ophia),

Thanks for leaving the excellent comment! Thanks for all the nice compliments too. I do think the silly picture of me was funny too, but my piano teacher is even sillier. For example my brother, Patrick, started taking lessons and sometimes he can’t focus so Valerie pretends that I am in a different universe so he can focus on piano and I can do my homework! I think the trumpet is a great instrument to learn even though I am sticking with piano, but that might have been one of my second or third choices.

Your friend,
      Twilight Sparkle (Sandy) :razz:

Reply

5.   piper Says:

Dear Sandy,

Great post!

You inspired me to take piano lessons. Where do you take the piano lessons? The person that inspires me for irish dance are Brogan McCay and Julia O Brorke. They are famous irish dancers and inspire mostly every irish dancer. Someday I want to be like them and I am very close!

Your friend,

Flutter Shy/Piper :shock:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Flutter Shy (Piper),

I’m glad I inspired you to take piano lessons. It is really a fun musical instrument. I take piano lessons in Groton with a piano teacher named Valerie Walsh, as I said in my post. You are amazing at Irish Dance and you should be a famous Irish Dancer that the younger ones look up to just like you look up to Brogan McCay and Julia O Brorke.

Your friend,
      Twilight Sparkle (Sandy):grin:

Reply

•   Piper Says:

Dear Twilight Sparkle/Sandy,

Thank you for telling me where you take your piano lessons. I will ask my mom if I could take those piano lessons. I think that when you are older you will be a fantastic and famous piano player. The video was very cool! Do the snacks taste good that she gives you?

Thanks for replying to me!

Your friend,

Flutter Shy/Piper :shock:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Flutter Shy\Piper,

Again thank you for all the complements! If you would like to have your first piano lesson for free I might have a free gift certificate that I can give you! Yes, all the snacks she gives me are very good. They are made with organic ingredients and are usually gluten free. I would be happy to have you take lessons with me because it is a fun instrument that is great to learn before any other instrument. Once you play the piano you can play an musical instrument you want.

Your friend,
          Twilight Sparkle\Sandy

Reply

6.   Ivy Says:

Dear Sandy,

I loved your post! You are a fabulous pianist! I thought that you were really good at playing the song “Got Lots Of Rhythm”. I liked how you wrote: Did I give up? NO!! Since you did not give up I bet you will become a famous pianist! You wil inspire others to play piano just like your Mom’s cousin inspired you!

I play soccer and my Dad, Sister, and my coaches inspire me. I work hard to get better and better at it. I practice soccer every day so maybe someday I will be a pro soccer player like Lionel Messi, my favorite soccer player and probably the best soccer player in the world! We have to see the Mathlete Show to answer that question.

When did you start to play piano? How many songs can you play?

Sincerely,
    Ivy

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Ivy,

Thank you for leaving a comment and also some nice compliments! I think Lionel Messi is very good, better than Christiano. I started playing the piano in Kindergarten at age five. I don’t know how many songs I can play because I can play out of seven books!

Your Friend,
      Sandy :lol:

Reply

•   Ivy Says:

Dear Sandy,

Wonderful comment! No problem! Yes, Messi is fantastic at soccer, better than Ronaldo and that is what the Mathlete Show said. I started playing at age three or four.

Seven books is really good since you started in kindergarten. You probably know so many songs especially because you got through seven of them! I liked how you showed the snacks that your piano teacher gives you everyday. I also liked how you mentioned that ou sing some songs, too. You should keep learning piano and trying to get better and better so someday you will become a master! Even though you are already a very good pianist!

Fabulous guest post!

Sincerely,
        Ivy

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Ivy,

According to the Mathlete Show Messi is better. As I said I am not a big fan of soccer, but if I had to choose between Messi or Ronaldo I would choose Messi. To be honest I am really getting tired of the debate thing between Messi and Ronaldo.

Thank you for all the nice compliments too! I agree with you that I should keep taking lessons because it is a very fun activity to do! What is your favorite instrument to play if you have one?

Your friend,
          Sandy :grin:

Reply

7.   Natalia Says:

Dear Sandy,

I did play piano but I don’t anymore, but you inspired me to play piano again! I have an electric piano at my house. Do you have a piano at your house?

Extremely cool post!

Your friend,
    Natalia :shock:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Natalia,

Thank for the awesome comment! That is very cool that you have an electric piano at your house. I only have a untuned piano and some mini keyboards that people have given to me as presents, but most of them are broken or need batteries. So to be honest I really only have one piano at my house but I want it tuned so badly!!!

Your friend,
      Sandy :cool:

Reply

•   Natalia Says:

Dear Sandy,

Great comment!

I feel bad for you that your piano is untuned. But,I can see why you would want your piano to be tuned so you could play your songs perfect! Some people don’t think that “practice makes perfect” is not a true statement. do you think its a true statement?

Your friend,
        Natalia :shock:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Natalia,

Thanks for commenting back! I’m glad that you are sorry for me that my piano is untuned! :lol: Some of those reasons that you gave are part of the reason I want tuned. The tuning piano thing can be fixed though, nobody even notices that it is untuned.

To be honest with you I do not believe in “practice makes perfect”. That doesn’t even make sense because nobody is perfect, not even the smartest people in the world. I think people should think of it as “practice makes better” because that is true. Like I said nobody in this world is perfect and that is a true fact to prove that that phrase is not true.

Your friend,
          Sandy :roll:

Reply

8.   sean Says:

Dear Sandy,

Great post! You asked who or what inspires me? Well, I play baseball and I LOVE the boston red sox baseball team and their second baseman Dustin Pedroia is who inspires me to play SUPER hard and try to make it to the big leagues (professional baseball).

Signed,
    Sean :)

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Sean,

I agree! The Boston Red Sox are an amazing baseball team, and they are my favorite team too. My favorite player is Jacoby Ellsbury though, but I’m glad Pedroia inspires you to play hard to make the professional leagues.

From,
      Sandy :mrgreen:

Reply

9.   Trey Says:

Dear Sandy,

I play piano like you as well. But I don’t think I have developed as many skills as you have.

your classmate,
    Trey :lol:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Trey,

The piano is a really fun musical instrument, and I’m glad you play it!! If you keep practicing you will be very good. You did very well at the Talent Show when you played the piano. Don’t give up though, because I didn’t like piano first and couldn’t play well, but now I can play pretty well.

From,
      Sandy :razz:

Reply

10.   Lindsey Says:

Dear Sandy,

I love your post because it is a unique talent that is hard to learn. Sometimes I either do the recorder, harmonica or drums for a musical instrument. I also love to dance. I liked how you played “Lot’s of Rhythm” I bet you have been practicing the song for 3 or 4 weeks to get really good at it.

Excellent post Sandy, keep up the awesome piano playing! You got me inspired to learn how to play the piano. Where do you take lessons? How old were you when you started to play?

Your freind,
    Lindsey :lol:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Lindsey,

Thank you for all the nice compliments!! I take lessons in Groton with a piano teacher named Valerie Walsh as I said in my post! I think I was about 5 when I first started taking lessons! I actually made a mistake because I have been taking lessons for 5 years. I actually did have to practice that song, but for no longer than 2 to 3 weeks. Thanks for leaving the great comment!!

Your friend,
      Sandy :shock:

Reply

11.   Daniela Says:

Dear Sandy,

I like your post. I play the flute. It’s very hard. I’ve been playing the flute for three months. I listen to Adele. I like her voice, how it goes high and low.

Your friend,
    Daniela

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Daniela,

Thanks for leaving the comment! I can imagine how hard the flute is! Keep practicing though because just like I said someday you might be very good at the flute, but I’m pretty sure you’re already very good. I agree with you liking Adele and for some of the same reasons too! My favorite song by her is “Rolling in the Deep”. Thanks for saying that you liked my post!!

Your friend,
      Sandy :lol:

Reply

12.   Kali Says:

Dear Sandy,

That was a great post. The instrument that inspires me is the flute. I like the piano too, but I did not want to do it because I like the flute better.

From,
    Kali :lol: :!:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Kali,

The flute sounds like a very interesting instrument, fun too! I’m glad you liked my post!! That’s ok that you like an instrument more than the another one, just like I like the piano better than the flute.

Your friend,
      Sandy :cool:

Reply

13.   Tracy Kirk Says:

Dear Sandy,

I loved your piano blog! I am Cathy’s sister, the one you said inspired you to play! That really made Cathy feel great to know that she inspired you in such a positive way! And now you will inspire others! I used to sing with Cathy while she played the piano when we were growing up and it was always so much fun – especially Beatles and Broadway show tunes! (I played flute – but you can’t sing and play that at the same time – what a disaster!) We still sing Christmas carols around her piano each year and it is one of my favorite holiday traditions! I wonder if you will make that one of your traditions, too?

I can’t believe how fantastically you are playing already! Keep going! Let us know when we can all come sing around the piano with you! You are awesome!

Love,
    Your 2nd cousin or is it cousin once removed(?),
    Tracy

ps I heard that Taylor inspired you to join the family relay race for the Hartford Marathon! That is so great! Hope to see you there!

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Tracy (second cousin once removed I think?),

Thank you for leaving me the excellent comment! I was inspired by Taylor to run the Hartford Marathon! Last year you sent us a video of someone playing the piano and you all had a verse for the 12 days of Christmas. Every year at my house I play the piano while everybody sings but it is very hard and you have to practice for weeks and weeks because you have to keep up with everybody and try to keep on playing right from where you left off so everybody can keep up with you. Last year everybody got sick so it was not a very good Christmas so we couldn’t do that. A few kids in my class play the flute, it sounds like a very interesting instrument!!

Your 2nd cousin once removed,
      Sandy :shock:

Reply

14.   Maddie Says:

Dear Sandy,

The musical instruments I play are piano, flute, saxophone, and recorder. I like the song that you played on the piano, Got Lots Of Rhythm. When you first started were you nervous? was it easy to learn all of those songs on piano? The piano songs that you are learning right now, are they easy or hard? The snack that your teacher gives to you is it always heathy? Because I remember when you said it isn’t healthy all the time.

Your Friend,
    Maddy \ Apple Bloom :roll:

Reply

•   Sandy Says:

Dear Apple Bloom (Maddie),

I was very nervous when I started piano. I didn’t know what my teacher would think of me and I wondered if she would think I was good enough. Some songs are not easy to learn but others are. “Got Lots of Rhythm” was one of those easy songs where you can get it right away, but different people have different opinions about how hard and easy they are. That’s just my opinion. Usually it is a food made with organic ingredients. What musical instrument is your favorite to play?

Your friend,
      Twilight Sparkle \ Sandy :roll:

Reply

15.   Collin Says:

Dear Sandy,

I don’t play an instrument right now, but I look forward to learning to play one when I get to middle school and play in the band. I would like to learn to play the saxaphone.

From,
    Collin

Reply