Jun
10

The Mathlete Show: “Who is Better – Messi or Ronaldo?”

Filed Under (Math) by on June 10, 2013 and tagged ,

A few weeks ago, our classmate Ivy wrote a fantastic guest post about soccer. That got us talking a lot about who is the best soccer player (footballer) in the world - Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi.

*

*

*

Because they are both great, and we had such strong opinions in class about who was better, we decided to compare the two players using their statistics and math. We compared their goals and assists for their club teams over the last four years.

Watch the Mathlete Show video below to see what we found out:

*

So, did the video settle once and for all who is the better player? Or is there information we forgot to include? Let us know what you think in a comment!

(Here is a link to more comparisons between the two great players.)

*

What did you think of the video?

Who do you think is the best soccer player (footballer) in the world? Why?

Do you have a favorite athlete? Who is it?

42 Responses to “The Mathlete Show: “Who is Better – Messi or Ronaldo?””

1.   Ivy Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I loved the video! Messi is indeed the better player. This is what I have been telling everyone but they thought Ronaldo was better! My guest post (with the part about Messi) got many comments saying that people liked Ronaldo. Maybe now we can figure out what team is better, Barcelona FC or Real Madrid. I thought the bloopers were funny and I liked how you made “Burrito come in and say “Cut, cut, cut!”

I loved the Mathlete show!

Sincerely,
    Ivy

Reply

•   sean Says:

Dear Ivy,

I loved the video too! I do not agree with you thinking Messi is better. I think Ronaldo is better because I don’t watch a lot of soccer, but I see Ronaldo whenever I do watch soccer and I see how talented he is. I also agree with you thinking burrito saying CUT!, CUT!, CUT!!! was funny.

Sincerely,
      Shortstop :cool:

Reply

•   Natalia Says:

Dear Ivy,

I agree that Messi is clearly better ! And the video proved that Messi is better. Do you have anther favorite athlete?

Your friend,
      Natalia :cool:

Reply

•   Ivy Says:

Dear Natalia,

Nice comment! Yes, Messi is better than Ronaldo. I’m not saying Ronaldo is bad because Ronaldo is so good at soccer!

I do have another favorite athlete but I am not talking about soccer. I play tennis and my favorite tennis athlete is Serena Williams. She just won the 2013 Roland Garros French Open the other day against Maria Sharapova, my second favorite women’s tennis player. She also won Wimbledon 2012 and is destined to win it this summer.

I also have a favorite men’s tennis player. His name is Rafael Nadal. He also won the French Open the other day against David Ferrer.

Keep playing soccer!

Sincerely,
        Ivy

Reply

•   Collin Says:

Dear Ivy,

I think Ronaldo is better because I watched him play before and he is really fast. He is probably faster than Messi. Messi has more goals because he is a ball hog. At least Ronaldo passes more than Messi and if Ronaldo is faster he can get the ball more. So I think Ronaldo is better. I think you should change your mind, if you don’t I think your brain might be insane like a coconut.

from,
      Collin

Reply

•   Ivy Says:

Dear Collin,

My brain is most definitely NOT insane like a coconut! My brain is very smart to think Messi is better. He is way faster than Ronaldo and the goals are not because he is a ball hog (which he is not), it’s because he is faster, smaller so he can get around defenders, and he is just way better!

FORCA BARCA! Messi’s teammates on Barcelona FC are very good, too. They have great passes, leading to dozens of shots made by Messi and also Lionel will pass to them and they will score. Messi got 79 assists and Ronaldo only got 47. This proves that Messi passes more because assists are when you pass to someone and they score. some fantastic teammates Messi has would be: Andres Iniesta, Xavi, Neymar, David Villa, Cesc Fabregas, Martin Montoya, Pedro Rodriguez Ledesma, and so many more great players.

Messi is better!

Sincerely,
        Ivy

P.S Ronaldo is a model. Messi is a footballer!

Reply

•   Collin Says:

Dear Ivy,

If I had to campare Ronaldo and Messi, Ronaldo would be the giant and Messi would be an ant and Ronaldo would smush the ant by a mile.

from,
          Collin

Reply

•   Sean Says:

Dear Ivy,

I agree with Collin, but what if Ronaldo did pass more than Messi and his teammates didn’t score what about that? So if we counted that, Ronaldo would probably win.

Sincerely Ronaldo fan,
          Sean :cool:

Reply

•   cole Says:

Dear Ivy,

I have proof that Messi is a ball-hog, because in the video we watched most of the clip Messi had a wide open man and in those situations you want to pass it.

Another reason is, I mean yeah, he has more assists but most assists get crossed in the middle and Messi has a bigger foot so he can get it in the middle easier.

Sincerely,
          Cole

P.S. Ronaldo is not a model.

Reply

•   Ivy Says:

Dear Cole,

That video that we watched was not about Messi passing! We would have seen dozens of beautiful passes to wide open men. Maybe the player wanted Messi to go in and score. You have no proof.

Messi is tiny! He is 5ft 7in and Ronaldo is 6ft 1in! I doubt Messi has a bigger foot. Ronaldo dives and I saw videos showing that the other player didn’t even touch him! At least Messi is an honest player.

Ronaldo IS a model!

Sincerely,
            Ivy

2.   Bennett Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

Great Mathlete Show!
    Even though I am not much of a soccer fan, I’d root for Messi. Other than that, my favorite part in the video was when “Burrito” went into the screen and said “Cut, cut, cut” That was funny!

From
    Bennett :cool:

Reply

3.   Alicia Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I liked the part of the post when in the bloopers Burrito came in front of the screen and then said “cut, cut, cut.” One thing that I like about the mathlete shows is when you’re splitting the parts of the video the movements that come up on the screen, I think that they look kind of cool. Great post!

Your student,
    Alicia : lol:

Reply

4.   Ryan Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich’s class,

I thought the post was really good. Messi might be good but I still think Ronaldo is way better than Messi. just because Messi has more goals and assists than Ronaldo it still does not mean that Messi is better, because Ronaldo could still be a better passer, shooter, runner, and he could be smarter with some of his plays that he makes.

From,
    Ryan

Reply

•   Grant Says:

Dear Ryan,

I do agree that the post was fantastic, but messi is better than Ronaldo. Like you said in your comment, that he has more goals and assits, so that makes him better in one way.

You are right that the video didn’t include passes, shooting,running and smarter and that Ronaldo could be good at that. But think about if Messi was kicked and pulled on and if Ronaldo had to go through all that and was not even touched he would just fall right on his back and ask the referee for a penalty kick. Messi on the other hand would get kicked pulled on and would just keep going.

Messi is a great ball handler and can keep it on his feet when a defender is poking at the ball. Ronaldo is also a good ball handler but a defender could still poke at the ball but he would do all these fancy moves for style and for more fans, but then he might just lose the ball and then the other team would start the other way.

I agree that both Messi and Ronaldo are very fast. They can get past the defense with their speed. Ronaldo is fast but as I said before Ronaldo over styles and loses the ball, Messi can keep the ball at his feet and with his speed and great ball handling skills he could ether pass or take the shot, and Ronaldo would not have even gotten to take the shot.

So that clears that – Messi is better!

MESSI!

From,
      Grant

Reply

•   Wynn Says:

Dear Grant,

Messi is pretty good, but not as good as Ronaldo. Just because Messi has more goals and assists, it doesn’t mean that he is better. What if Ronaldo has more shots on goal but just against good goalies? What if Ronaldo passes to his teammates for an assist but then they miss, or the goalie saves it?
        I also think that Messi is a ball hog because from some Barcelona games that I have watched he gets the assist because he looses the ball but it luckily gets to his teammate.
        Ronaldo can also curve the ball better than Messi can. When Messi tries to curve the ball it goes about three inches, when Ronaldo curves it goes like two and a half feet. Ronaldo is faster than Messi. I bet if they had a foot race Ronaldo would win by two or three feet. He also makes good ideas when he has the ball. Messi just tries to dribble through the defense, which he mostly fails doing.

Mr. Salsich did show us a video about how Messi doesn’t dive and told us that there is a video of Ronaldo just falling when he wasn’t touched. But I have seen Messi dive more times then Ronaldo. They make videos of Ronaldo diving and don’t show videos of Messi diving because they like Messi better and wish that he were as good as Ronaldo, but unfortunately he isn’t.

Messi might be a good ball handler but Ronaldo is way better at ball handling. Messi always tries moves for people to like him. Ronaldo actually does the moves right.

When Messi scores he puts his hands up into fists and runs in the stands, pulls off his shirt and waves it in the air, like a lasso. Ronaldo just runs back in his position, with all his teammates jumping on him.

Your Friend,
        Wynn :cool:

Reply

5.   Nora Says:

Dear Apple 101,

I loved he Mathlete Show! You did wonderful. I loved it when you were in the bloopers and you said “Excuse me! We’re filming!”. That was my favorite part. I also liked it when you were trying to pronounce the word statistics.

Your friend,
    Nora :cool:

Reply

•   Piper Says:

Dear Nora,

Thank you for saying I did wonderful! It was hard and funny at the same time when i was trying to pronounce the word statistics. I also thought it was funny when I said “Excuse me, we’re filming here”.

Who do you like Messi or Ronaldo? I like Messi, he is way better than Ronaldo!

Your friend,
      Piper :shock:

Reply

6.   Trey Says:

Dear Apple 101,

I think Ronoldo is better then Messi not because I just think he is. But that I like him more then Messi.

From Trey :lol:

Reply

7.   Sandy Says:

Dear Apple 101,

You did an awesome job in the Mathlete Show! I loved it! I think Messi is a better player. I think that because he has 64 more goals and assists than Ronaldo. Do you have a favorite player between Messi and Ronaldo? I am guessing Messi, but I don’t know. My favorite athlete from the college team UConn (my favorite team) is Heather Buck. My favorite team for professional is the Celtics and my favorite player is Paul Pierce. Those were all basketball teams just to let you know, you probably already knew that. Again I loved the Mathlete Show! Great Job!!!!

Your friend,
    Sandy :shock:

Reply

8.   Kali Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

I really liked the post. The people who liked Ronaldo did not like that. Ivy’s guest post started the war against Lionel Messi v.s. Cristiano Ronaldo, and the Mathlete Show proved that Messi is the best soccer player.

From,
    Kali :lol: :?:

Reply

9.   Purple Piggy Says:

Dear Apple 101,

I don’t watch soccer and I’m not a big fan of it but almost everyone in the class seems to be saying that Ronaldo’s better and others say Messi is better. As I said before, I’m not a big fan of soccer but I must agree with the people that like Messi. I never watched soccer before but that Mathlete Show gave me all the proof I needed. Thanks to you, Shortstop, Burrito and Blitzle. It proved that Messi is better than Ronaldo. The only way the information can be better is if we take the information of Messi and Ronaldo from the whole time they have played soccer.

Your Mathlete Friend,

Purple Piggy :lol: :mrgreen: :cool:

Reply

10.   jacob Says:

Dear Mr Salsich,

I think Messi is better because the information on the post said that he had more assists and more goals than Ronaldo had, and he is good with his teammates. I loved the video especially when Burrito said “Cut! cut! cut!”

I loved the post

from
    Jacob

Reply

11.   Cole Says:

Dear class,

My favorite athletes are Brad Marchand, Anton Khodobin, and Jaromir Jagr. And a little bit of Cristiano Ranoldo because I don’t pay that much attention to soccer but I think Cristiano is a better player than Lionel Messi.

From,
    Cole

Reply

•   WYNN Says:

Dear Cole,

As you probably know I like the Boston Bruins as well. Some of the good players are Zedeno Chara, Jaromir Jagr, Tyler Seguin, Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron, Milan Lucic, Torrey Krug, Dennis Seidenberg, David Krejci, Tukka Rask, and some others.

I also agree with you that Cristiano Ronaldo is so much better than Lionel Messi.
      I watch almost all the Portugal and Real Madrid games and sometimes FC Barcelona games and I have only seen Ronaldo dive twice. The couple of games that I watched of Barcelona; Messi dove at least three times. So they are making videos of Ronaldo diving because he’s better. They are just not making videos of Messi diving because they like Messi better and they wish that he was better.

Your Friend,
      Wynn :cool:

Reply

12.   Grant Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

Messi is way better than Ronaldo because he has more assists than Ronaldo and more goals. If Messi has more goals and assist than Ronaldo (witch he does) that means he is more aware of what his teammates are doing.

Also Messi is better with his teammates with sportsmanship. Ronaldo is kind of selfish and wants to do somethings just on his own. Details that show this are one time he should have passed it but he just dribbled through the defense and took the shot all on his own.

My favorite athlete is probably Lionel Messi. Messi inspires me to get better and better in soccer/football.
    One thing I am trying to get better at in soccer/football is striking the ball. I want to get better at this because most of the balls I kick are on the ground.

Keep up the great post!

from,
    Grant

Reply

•   Ivy Says:

Dear Grant,

I absolutely agree with you! Messi is better than Ronaldo. He has great ball control, where Ronaldo just is a show-off and tries to do the best tricks which slow him down. Ronaldo relies on his speed to take him. Messi relies on his ball control and can get out of tight situations where Ronaldo just dives. Messi can appear out of a huge group of defenders where he can get kicked, grabbed, hit, and many other physical obstacles.

He is a truly amazing player. I watch him play whenever he does and it’s crazy how good he is. His team plays beautiful passes to Messi. Xavi and Iniesta are known for their assists. I cannot believe how fast Messi can go up the line to the other side and score with his left soccer-made foot. He is not a show-off, like Cristiano.

Messi is definitely aware of his teammates. He passes to people like Neymar, Cesc Fabregas, David Villa, and Martin Montoya.

Great comment!

Messi is a footballing maniac. Ronaldo is a show-off model.

Sincerely,
      Ivy

Reply

13.   Trey Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

My favorite athlete is David Ortiz for the red sox. My real favorite red sox player was Youkilis but he was traded to the white sox and now he plays for the Yankees. David Ortiz was my second favorite player but now is my favorite player.

From Trey :lol:

Reply

•   Wynn Says:

Dear Trey,

I also like the Boston Red Sox too!
      They are very good this year. David Ortiz is my favorite baseball player also. I liked Kevin Youkilis. I can’t believe he went to the New York Yankees.
      I play baseball like you do. I think it is very fun!

From,
      Wynn :cool:

Reply

14.   Wynn Says:

Dear Mr. Salsich,

I thought the post was awesome!

I do agree that Messi is good, but Ronaldo might be better in all the other statistics that you didn’t name. For example shots on goal, steals, dribbling ability, and even being a better teammate.

Anyways there might be more other pro soccer players that are better, like Pele from Brazil, Landon Donavan from the U.S., David Beckham from England, Fernando Torres from Spain, and probably more. Donavan is on Los Angeles Galaxy, Beckham is also on Galaxy, and Torres is on Chelsea.

I think that Barcelona FC and Real Madrid are equal. Barcelona has other good players like Xavi, Iniesta, and some others, and Real Madrid has other good players like Nani, Pepe, Chincharito, and some others.
    But I do think that Ronaldo’s team Portugal is better than Messi’s team Argentina because they make it to the World Cup more then Argentina has.
    What do you think?

As you probably know, I like Ronaldo way better than Messi and think that Ronaldo is way better than Messi.
    Also Ronaldo is better at doing moves and doing bicycle kicks. Messi tries to do moves but then either he fails or the defender steals the ball from him.
    It’s to bad that you like Messi better than Ronaldo.

I also liked the Mathlete Show. In the bloopers it was funny when Burrito said “Cut, cut, cut.”

Your Student,
    Wynn :cool:

Reply

•   Mr. Salsich Says:

Dear Wynn,

Wow! That is a very impressive comment! I like how you added lots of details to back up your ideas.

You are right that there are a lot of other statistics that the video didn’t mention. Here is a link to an article that compares Ronaldo and Messi in every category. It talks about their dribbling skills, speed, team play, and direct kicks among other things. Of course, the information in the link is just one person’s opinion and someone else might see it differently.

Ultimately, I think that is what matters – your own opinion. Some people think Messi is better and some people think Ronaldo is better. Everyone can have there own opinion. I think having different ideas is a good thing, as long as people are polite about their disagreements.

So, my opinion is that Messi is definitely better than Ronaldo. My reasons are: He has won the Ballon d’Or (“World’s Best Player”) award the last four years. He has scored more goals than Ronaldo. He has the record for most goals in a year with an amazing 85 goals! He has many more assists than Ronaldo which means he passes to teammates more. He doesn’t dive as much as Ronaldo, but instead plays through tough defense. And finally, he is a better dribbler and ball-controller than Ronaldo.

The last category, dribbling, is where I think some people get confused. Ronaldo is the master of skills like the step-over, the heel kick, and the bicycle kick, but sometimes he does these when he doesn’t need to. He looks fancy and does flashy plays, but they don’t always lead to better opportunities for his team. Messi, on the other hand, controls the ball like it’s glued to his foot. He doesn’t do flashy plays just for style, but instead focuses on moving the ball ahead, attacking the goal, and looking for the open teammate. So, Ronaldo shows more style, but Messi shows more results.

However, that is just my opinion. :)

Sincerely,
      Mr. Salsich

Reply

15.   Kali Says:

Dear class,

Why did Burrito come in and say, “CUT CUT CUT”? And I like the part from another mathlete show when Doug can’t say Pico de Gallo, and it is easy to say it.

Your mathlete friend,
    Blitzle

Reply

16.   Daniela Says:

Dear Mr.Salsich,

GREAT POST!
    I think Messi is better just because I like him and thats all. I know some people like Ronaldo and I understand.

I like it when Trey said “cut, cut, cut.”

From,
    Daniela :cool:

Reply

17.   Mr Webb and Room Five, Hamilton, NZ Says:

Hi,

My name is Wattana and I am a huge fan of football/soccer and my favourite soccer player is Lionel Messi because he runs fast, scores a lot of goals, and skills a lot of people.

Wattana, Melville Intermediate,
    Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand.
    Melvilleroom8.blogspot.com

Reply

18.   Blitzle Says:

Dear Mr.Webb,

I hope you like the mathlete show. Who do you like better, Messi or Ronaldo? I like soccer but I don’t play it. I really like Messi better than Ronaldo.

From,
    Blitzle :lol:

Reply

19.   Chase W. Says:

Dear Mr. salsich.

I hope you are having a fun year, I know I am. I hope your class is cooperative. I like all of your pictures and videos. I really like the mathematics show. I hope to see you some time.

Your last-year friend,
    Chase :)

Reply

20.   Himanshu Says:

Hi,

If I have to choose between Messi or Ronaldo, I will choose Messi
    Simple comparison will be: Messi has won a treble with Barcelona and Ronaldo has not. Messi has more assists being a striker. Messi has achieved more. But, it doesn’t mean Ronaldo is less.

P.S. Messi is better, and I am not saying that Ronaldo is less :)

From,
    Himanshu

Reply

21.   markus Says:

dear ivy

i think messi is way better then ronaldo but ronaldo is good to but messi is a boss

from
    markus and demetri

Reply

22.   George Says:

Everyone,who cares who is better because it’s rare to have players this good,example,Ronaldinho,Cryuff,Ronaldo(Brazilian One)and Zidane.

All Around Messi and Ronaldo Equal
    in a way. Messi controls the ball very well and scores many goals.
    While Ronaldo heads the ball into the net and appears in the Real Madrid squad more than Messi did in Barcelona due to injury.

Now They Both have teamates like Neymar from Santos,Brazil and Isco from Malaga,Spain and both of them are very,very, talented.

So we will see what hhappens in the 13-14 season.

Who Will Score More?
    Who Have More Assists?

P.S. I Like Eden Hazard

Reply