Alison Plays Piano

This is a student post written by Alison

I started to play the piano when I was six. Before I took lessons, I taught myself how to play scales and other things. My older sister, who already took piano lessons, helped me learn the notes and key signatures.

notes for bass clef and treble clef

notes for treble clef and bass clef

I have been playing for two years. I know a lot of songs and a few scales.

A piano is an extremely interesting instrument. It is a string instrument.  The piano has short strings for the high notes and long strings for low notes. It has soft “hammers” to bump the strings and the strings vibrate to make a noise.  You can play loud and soft by hitting the key harder or softer.

Upright Piano Diagram

Upright Piano Diagram

I think that the piano is a fun instrument to play, but you need lots of practice.  I play after school.  After I’m done practicing I like to fool around and make up my own songs.

Here is a video of two songs that I can play; The Pink Panther Theme by Henry Mancini and Musette by J.S. Bach.

*

What did you think of the playing?

Which song did you prefer? Why?

Do you play any instruments?

71 thoughts on “Alison Plays Piano

1. Dear Alison,

Wow! what a great piano player you are, and to think you have only been playing the piano for two years.

I loved your choice of music you picked to play on the piano. You play the piano with such perfection.
    Excellent work Alison.

I could sit all day and listen to you play the piano.
    Thank you for this truly musical and beautiful post. You really are very talented. 🙂

I do not play any instrument but if I could I would love to play the Harp.

From AA.

• Dear AA,

Thank you for the comment. It was sort of easy to play the Pink Panther because I knew what it sounded like. And since I have been playing so long I can find which note makes what sound with out playing it. For Mussete it was harder because I didn’t know what it sounded like before I played it. I don’t think I could sit all day and play the piano. It would drive me crazy! (I sometimes don’t like to practice the piano.)

I think the Harp would be a wonderful instrument to play. It might be tricky remembering what strings make what sounds, but once you got the hang of it, it’s easy!

From,
      Alison

2. Dear Alison,

Wow! (It looks like I had the same reaction as AA.) That was incredible! Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us. If I had to choose, I’d have to say that the Pink Panther theme was my favorite song. Our family has always enjoyed it and I couldn’t stop smiling as I listened to you play. 🙂

I have always loved to listen to piano music. I, like many other adults, used to play the piano at one time. My lessons started with my grandmother when I when 4 years old. I played until I was in high school. Now, my years of piano practice help me read music to sing with my church choir.

Thank you again! You are an excellent musician.

From,
    Mrs. Moore
    Michigan, USA

• Dear Mrs. Moore,

Thank you for the comment! I like jazz and classical music best. When I learned the Pink Panther, it put a smile on my face too.

My favorite classical composer is Mozart and he also started playing the piano when he was four! But he was unusual, he was a genius.

I want to play the piano until I am an adult. Or maybe I will never stop!

From,
      Alison

• Dear Alison,

I agree, jazz and classical music are very exceptional! Mozart is definitely a brilliant composer. I never knew that he began playing the piano at four! Thank you so much for teaching me something new. You are helping me make connections with my learning.
        🙂

I hope you do continue to play the piano throughout your life. It’s very wise to have goals. As an adult, do you think you would like to play for your family and your own enjoyment at home? Or would you like to join an orchestra and perform concerts in front of many people? Perhaps you would like to teach piano lessons to other people who want to learn…

Your fan,
        Mrs. Moore

• Dear Mrs. Moore,

I thought that Mozart was just a famous composer but when I read about him, I was just amazed. He could hear the music in his mind!

I think that it would be fun to be a piano teacher when I get older, but it will take lots of practice. To be a piano teacher you need to know how to sight play because if a student asks how a song sounds, you will need to play it and it might be a song you haven’t played before.

From,
          Alison

• Dear Alison,

I also read on the DSO Kids website that Mozart learned to speak fifteen languages! That is just incredible! What a gifted mind.

I think you are right. It would take lots of practice to teach piano lessons, but I’m sure you are up for the challenge.
            🙂

Best wishes,
            Mrs. Moore

3. Dear Alison
    I really enjoyed listening to your playing and I like both tunes, but to choose my favourite I would have to say ‘The Pink Panther’.

I read that you can read music, but I wonder if you also learn new tunes by playing by ear?

I learned the piano when I was younger. I was very good at the theory, but not so good at the playing! But I did enjoy it.

I hope to get to hear you play piano on another post sometime.

Which tune was the most difficult to learn?

from Mrs M♔Kenzie

• Dear Mrs. McKenzie,

Thank you for the comment, I’m glad you enjoyed listening. I like the Pink Panther a lot too. I can learn by ear, that’s why the Pink Panther was easier to learn, because I already knew the melody before I started to play it. I like to play the piano, but I also learn theory with my teacher. Maybe I’ll play and post another piece again sometime.

From,
      Alison

4. Hi Alison,

This is such a great blog post. I really like how you embedded a video of you playing in the post. It reminds me of when I learned to play the piano when I was 10. Although I do not have a piano now, whenever I see one, I try to hop on and play what I remember. My favorite song to play when I was just learning was Lavender Blue. Keep up the good work. It is an instrument that you can play your entire life.

Thanks for sharing,
    Miss Rorey

5. Dear Allison,

I think your blog post is wonderful! I liked the diagram of a piano, but especially enjoyed the video of you playing the piano. In addition, your writing tells me that you are very smart!

My favorite song that you played was the piece by Bach. (I have a soft spot for classical music)

Good job!

Mrs. Bright
    5th Grade Cibolo Green Elementary
    San Antonio, Texas
    http://blogs.neisd.net/abrigh

• Dear Mrs. Bright,

I like classical too, but it’s fun sometimes to learn some other types of music. And sometimes it’s fun to learn songs with words to sing along. My favorite classical composer is Mozart. He usually put surprising or unpredictable parts in his pieces. In his childhood he was very mischievous.

I’m glad you liked the post, thank you for your comment!

From,
      Alison

6. Dear Alison,

Wow that was so cool! They both were great, but I liked the second one better because I can play the Pink Panther Theme on the piano but not the second one. I play two instruments, the trombone and the piano.

From,
    Cory in Techie Kids

• Dear Cory,

Thanks for your comment, I’m glad you liked my pieces.

Playing the Pink Panther is fun because it’s kind of jazzy. That’s cool that you can play the trombone. I haven’t learned any other instrument yet, but I can play the recorder. I like to play some of the melodies I’ve learned on piano on the recorder. It’s not too hard to figure out once you know the fingering.

From,
      Alison

7. Dear Alison,

Great playing! I also take piano lessons but I am not too good. I am going to put a post on my blog soon about piano and I am going to play two or three songs. I like doing piano recitals where I get to play a few piano pieces. I get to play them in front of all the other people that take piano lessons with my teacher Mr. Hardy. He is very nice and I have learned about 50 piano pieces with him.

From,
    Margot* 🙂

• Dear Margot,

I have a recital about every six weeks or so. I can play one, two or three selections. I can choose which ones I want to perform. We have recitals often to get comfortable playing in front of an audience. It’s fun.

From,
      Alison

8. Dear Alison,

Great playing! I have one question for you, how long have you been playing? I have wanted to take piano lessons but I don’t have time to. I do play my uncle’s guitar but then he gets mad at me. My favorite song was the first one, what was yours?

From,
    Cassidy

• Dear Cassidy,

Thanks for your comment. I started playing when I was five, and I started lessons with my teacher when I turned six. It does take a lot of time to practice. I have to do it every day after school. I usually practice every day, but maybe one day a week I’ll skip. And I play at least a half an hour a day, usually longer. I don’t have a favorite song, I like both pieces.

From,
      Alison

9. Dear Alison

I love your music especially the pink panther because I`m a big fan of the pink panther. I can also do the piano but I can only do Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and part of Deck the Halls. I love how you play, I hope I will grow up to play just like you.

From Nicole

10. Dear Alison,

I think your playing was really really good. I prefer the “Pink Panther Theme.” I am just a fan of that song. I also play the piano, but I’m just a beginner. I can also play the guitar and the recorder. Again, you were really, really good.

Your Friend,
    Sara from Techie Kids

• Dear Sara,

Thanks for your comment, I’m glad you liked the post. That’s pretty good that you can play the guitar. I haven’t played any other instrument except for the recorder. That’s fun because you can take it with you and play anywhere. You can’t do that with a piano.

From,
      Alison

• Dear Alison,

Thanks for the reply. You could take a keyboard with you. If anybody in your family has an iPod, you can get an app that’s a piano.

Your friend,
        Sara from Techie Kids

11. Dear Alison,

You were great at the piano! I wish I could play the piano. Maybe my sister would teach me how to play. How did you learn how to play?

From,
    Shelly at Techie Kids

• Dear Shelly,

Thank you for your compliment, I’m glad you liked listening. Playing the piano is fun, but it’s hard work. My big sister showed me some things when I first started, but then I started taking lessons with my teacher. She’s really good. But the only way to get better is to practice a lot.

From,
      Alison

12. Dear Allison,
    I thought you were amazing. I loved it all, but especially The Pink Panther. The reason why is I know the tune by heart. I play a little bit of piano. The only song I know is Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Ha ha ha ha. That is bad I know. But, oh well.

Sincerely,
    Claire at Techie Kids

• Dear Claire,

I’m glad you liked the post. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was one of the very first songs I learned. And then I learned a few variations. That’s when the melody is almost the same, but maybe the rhythm is different.

From,
      Alison

• Dear Alison,

Thank you for replying. I think that’s interesting. I do not know how to play variations but it seems you know. What other songs do you know how to play?

Sincerely,
        Claire from Techie Kids

13. Dear Alison,

I think you were great because you picked the perfect song, played it right, and you practiced. I liked the second song you did because it is a faster song there is not to many beats. You can play it perfect and its just a wonderful song. You are really good at it too. I also play the Piano. I really enjoy playing it too.

You did really good and I really enjoyed watching you play the piano.

From,
    Kennedy from Techie Kids

• Dear Kennedy,

I’m glad you liked the post, and thank you for the compliment. It does take a lot of practice, but it is fun to perform for people once you’ve learned a piece well.

From,
      Alison

• Dear Alison,
        I’ve performed piano in front of people. I really enjoyed it because you play music and you learn different notes. It was like a Christmas song. I do know that one was Old MacDonald. What other songs do you play on piano?

Sincerely,
        Kenedy from Techie Kids

14. Dear Alison,

The two songs you played are beautiful! It’s tough for me to decide which is my favorite because Pink Panther is so much fun and I remember playing Musette when I was your age. I used to study the piano but stopped when I went to college 11 years ago. I travel a lot now but I hope to start playing again when I have the time to practice.

Great job and congratulations on such a great blog post and video! Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Jessica Tartell

• Dear Jessica,

Thank you for your comment and I’m glad you enjoyed listening. I don’t know how I’ll be able to play when I go to college because I don’t think I’ll be able to take a piano with me. That’s the only bad thing about being a piano player, you can only play where there is a piano!

From,
      Alison

15. Dear Mr Salsich and his class (especially Alison),

You are amazing Alison for teaching yourself to play piano!!! I do piano lessons too, but I bet I am not as good as you!!!! You could become a famous pianist!

😉 MushyGirl

16. Dear Alison,

You have an incredible gift! It gives me goosebumps to think you taught yourself piano. Thank you for sharing. What an inspiration!

I do not play an instrument, but wanted to learn piano when I was your age. My favorite song was the Pink Panther. It reminded me of my Dad. He loved Pink Panther movies and we watched them together when I was a little girl.

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Kistler

• Dear Mrs. Kistler,

I started learning piano at home with my sister and my mom’s help, but then I started taking lessons with my teacher, so I guess I’ve been playing for about three years in all. It’s fun to learn familiar songs. To make learning to play classical songs easier, sometimes I listen to a recording first, then learn them on the piano.

I’m glad you liked listening to the Pink Panther. I’ve never seen any of the movies yet.

From,
      Alison

17. ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫

Dear Alison,

What terrific piano playing! Lovely performance!

I took piano lessons when I was a little girl, and I still play every now and then. To me, the piano is like a friend who is always there for you!

Both of your songs were spectacular, but I love that Pink Panther song! You played it with the perfect tempo!

I have heard piano all of my life because my mother is a piano teacher! Listening to the students and charting their success was always fun!

What piece are you working on now?

Your piano pal,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    California

♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫

• Dear Mrs. Yollis,

Thank you for the comment. I like the Pink Panther the best but Mussete is a very nice piece. I like the Pink Panther because it is jazz and I listen to jazz a lot. My sister is taking jazz class. I do hear a lot of classical music too though.

I am working on at least 3 pieces. One of them is Minuet by Mozart. There are lots of minuets by Mozart though.

From,
      Alison

18. Dear Alison,

You are very good at playing the piano! I used to play to and you inspired me to play again.
    Personally I liked the pink panther better because it had a more jazzy rhythm to it. I showed the video to my mom and she absolutely loved it! She thought you were amazing!
    I hope to see more of your piano playing on our blog it really gives it a spark!

From,
    *Alexandra

• Dear Alexandra,

Thanks for the comment. I like both songs best. It’s hard to chose which is my favorite! I think that the Pink Panther has lots of jazzy rhythm too, but Mussete is a very peaceful song.

I am glad your mom liked my video.

From,
      Alison

19. Good playing Alison. I always liked that Pink Panther song. You’ve obviously been practicing a lot.

See you soon,
    Uncle Rick

20. Dear Alison,

I thought you were really good! The playing was AWESOME! My favorite was Pink Panther.

I realized that you asked if anyone else played an instrument. I sing, play recorder, and I play a little of piano.

Your Friend Haley

21. Dear Alison,

I love how you play the piano! I love the song Musette because it just has that beautiful tune that makes me want to play the piano, but I know that I won’t be as good as you were. I hope you keep on playing the piano because you rock!

Your Friend,

Taylor H.

• Dear Taylor,

Thanks for the comment. I’m glad you thought my playing was great. I like Mussete too because it is soothing.

I bet if you practiced a lot, you can play as good as me in no time! I hope to never stop playing the piano, so don’t worry!

From,
      Alison

22. Dear Alison,

Wow, that was so good. I really liked the first song. Your pretty good at piano. I play guitar. Probably not as good as you. You are really good.

your friend,
    Matthew

23. Dear Alison

I can’t believe you played the Pink Panther song!
    Your song Musette was really good too. Are you going to be a piano player when you grow up? I want to be a model when I grow up. What’s your favorite song to play on the piano? My Cousin can play the new super Mario brothers song.

From your blogging buddy,
    Taylor
    Techie Kids

• Dear Taylor,

Thanks for the comment. I’m glad you liked my songs!

I will definitely play the piano when I’m a grown-up. I like all songs that I play. Some seem a little weird at first but when I put the hands together, it sounds amazing!

From,
      Alison

24. Dear Alison,

I prefer the Pink Panther because I think I am just more used to it than classical. I never really knew how to play long songs like that, all I know how to play is Mary Had a Little Lamb. I hope you put more videos of you playing the piano!

from,
    Ashley/Techie Kids

• Dear Ashley,

Thanks for the comment. I’m glad you enjoyed my songs.

I’m sure that if you went to a music store and got a beginner book of piano songs, you could be playing long songs like me too! It does require lots of practice though. If you stick to it and don’t give up, you could play the Pink Panther like me!

From,
      Alison

• Dear Alison,

Thank you so much for where to go! I forgot to tell you last time I also know how to play twinkle twinkle little star. One of my friends showed me how to play. It was so much fun because I learned about what notes to play and what notes not to play.

your friend, Ashley from Techie Kids

25. Dear Alison,

My favorite song that you did was the Pink Panther. I think the playing was very good. Yes, I play an instrument and it is a Acoustic guitar.

From,Alivia
    🙂
    Techie Kids

• Dear Alivia,

I’m glad you liked my songs. I like the Pink Panther very much too.

I have one question. What is a Acoustic guitar? I have never heard of such an instrument!

From,
      Alison 🙂

26. Dear Alison,

I loved both The Pink Panther Theme and Musette!
    And I also like to make up my own songs too! One of the songs I made up was called Stormy Night which I only used low notes.

Your Friend,
    Tommy 😀

P.S. I don’t know how to play Piano, but I like to play around.

• Dear Tommy,

I liked both too. I can’t decide! I have made up lots of songs, and since we have an electrical piano, I can record the songs I make up. One of my songs is called Snow is Falling. It is like a scale starting up high and going down low. It is a very peaceful song.

I need to play the piano. Although after I play, I fool around too.

From,
      🙂 Alison

27. Dear Alison

I like the show Pink Panther. Where did you learn to play it?
    I just got a piano and I’m trying to learn a song that my sister always sings but I forgot the name of it. I got the piano from my grandma. She said if I want It I need to learn how to play it. It is really hard to do so I might not be able to keep it!

From, Sean

28. Dear Alison,

I was very impressed with how fast you play the piano.The diorama of a piano was really cool. I love The Pink Panther, it was fast moving. Musette was really good too.

From
    Hope

29. Dear Alison,

You are a wonderful piano player! My favorite song was the pink panther because it is very jazzy. You also did very well on Musette. I have some questions for you.

*How many years have you been playing?

*What level are you?

Keep up the wonderful work!!!

Yours truly,
    Maggie 🙂
    P. S. I think you would make a wonderful pianist

30. Dear Alison,

♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫

Great job! You are very talented. 😀

I also play the piano, and take lessons. I play the piano 1-2 hours a day. I did a post on the piano and played a song. Here is a link to the post: http://yollisclassblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/family-blogging-month-winner-miriam.html

My favorite song you played was the was the Pink Panther song. I liked melody.

♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫ ♬ ♫

Your Blogging Buddy,
    Miriam 😀

31. Dear Alison,

I was absolutely amazed when we recorded these songs in Ms. Young’s room. I knew you were a very talented piano player, but I didn’t realize you were that talented! Wow!

I love both of the songs, but I think I prefer “Musette” just a little bit more. It is very pretty. I listen to some classical music, and Bach is my favorite composer. His life wasn’t quite as interesting as Mozart or Beethoven, but I think his music is just as amazing.

I’m also very impressed with all the great replies you have written to the comments. You have done a great job of keeping the conversation and the learning going.

Your proud teacher,
    Mr. Salsich

32. Dear Alison,

Great piano playing!
    I loved when you played the “Pink Panther Theme Song”. You’re very talented!
    I never knew a piano had so many moving parts. I think its cool how the hammers hit the strings and make a noise. It’s amazing how fast professional pianist’s can push the keys and play marvelous songs!

I’m so impressed that you can play those songs!

Your Friend,
    Amanda

33. Good for you, Alison! No, I don’t play an instument but, I do admire your discipline and talent to study, practice and perform on the piano. Musette was my favorite because it reminded me of a lullaby, soft and soothing! There is nothing like a good piano player to entertain people everywhere!!!
    Sam C’s Grandma

34. Dear Alison,

I really liked hearing you play the piano. I’ve always wanted to learn how to play the piano, but I haven’t got to yet. Keep playing the piano.

sincerely,

Simone from Techie Kids

35. Dear Alison,
    I liked it when you played the pink panther. My father loves that song. do you know how to play any long songs? Do you know how to play guitar?

Your friend,
    Tina form Techie Kids

36. Dear Alison
    Wow you are great. I perfer the pink panther because I think this song took a little more time. It look like you were a professional.

Your Pal,
    Nicole
    Techie Kids

37. Dear Alison

I like the pink panther theme. It is my favorite show and I think you are good at playing the piano. I just started to play. I just do things that I don’t know how to play but I know how to to play some of the exercises

Your Freind
    Sean

38. Dear Alison,

listening to your music was really nice. My daughter is six years old and has just started to learn to play piano. I hope she will soon be able to play as well as you can.

Keep on learning and improving your skills.

Regards,
    Frank